Make fun of James and his "truck"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trucks have beds. vans don't.
an el camnio is more of a truck than your van
:)

I'm having a blast here. The fact that you guys give a shit enough about such a stupid topic is very comical to me.

By default, this makes me the winner. :D

The US has terms that other countries don't really follow. Canada is close, but even Canada uses some of the international terms:

Combi (Kombi)
Truck
Van
Lorry
box-truck (cube truck or cube van)
Cab over (COE)
and the like..

"Truck" is english for "Stuff". "The basement was messy, and competely full of truck" is appropriate.

So by the english word's original definitions, None of you own a truck.

Thinking about Cube / Box trucks (or vans) we tell the difference only in the passenger cab. a cube van has the huge enclosed box, and a van front end. So what makes the difference here, technically ?

COE. Cab over engine. a van is a modern COE. back in the 20's through the 40's companys that made trucks also made COE. The purpose of the COE was to make it more maneuverable in tight quarters (City streets and narrow loading docks). Also, back then a truck was purpose built for not only what it was carrying, but for the company that bought the fleet (things like beer trucks were specially made, from top to bottom, to carry beer).

A cube or box truck is commonly called a Lorry in other countries. They are called Kombis in some other regions. Most of your trucks and vans are called Kombis throughout europe and throughout most of Asia.

Your common truck is qualified by the term "pick-up". Much of europe calls passenger-carrying trucks (SUVs) a "Bus", or "Autobus". Lots of offroaders throughout the world are called Cars. (Observe the Paris to Dakar rally types). A Jeep is a household name for "GP" (General Purpose) and through military slangs, people called them "Jeeps"(GPs). When AM General / willy's first introduced the GP to the armed forces, the word was pronounced from the GP relationship, and spelled as "Jeep" because that was the name of Popeye's dog.

Finally, most English speaking cultures call what we call trucks, "Utes" (yoots) for "Utility (bodies)"

So no, his Combi isn't a Truck. Nor is BDN's Ute.

In my vehicle manual, called "all-data" at work, they classify vans and trucks together and cars to themselves.

example

Honda Car = civic, accord, prelude, crx etc.
Honda Truck/van = Oddesy, CRV, Pilot etc.

If you want to consider your "van" a "truck," then have fun. but really it matters on the sole use of the vehicle. Your van could be considered a truck if there is only a front driver and passenger seat, and cargo room in the rear. But, if your "van" is used as a passenger vehicle, then its a van.

I can take a jeep four wheel drive chassis, pull everything off except the wheel wells, steering wheel, one seat, and the engine and such. Does it become a Atv? or is it still a jeep.

Either way. It doesnt matter and really people dont care enough to stop their life to argue with you about it forever.

Last edited:
What difference does it make anyway? Are there any restrictions on you, or does it cost more?

the point i was making was that until ~2000 most vans were built on truck bones. they just put van meat on it. also how about you (B) explain why a van gets the name "dodge ram"

you've posted here almost 10,000 times.

i think, by default, that makes me the winner :)

I think it's actually more than 10k. I forget how much I had Calesta knock off, but it was quite a bit of my post count that disappeared a while ago. :p

I could have one bitchin shaggin wagon if I put my queen bed in there.

for years ive been wanting to get like an 89 bronco and put a bed in the back with a fatty moon roof so i could go fourwheeling and lay under the stars.

its still not a truck
your state is fucked up
here in NY we have passenger plates and commercial plates
everyone I know that works in that line of work calls their work vehicle a van

maybe its i'm east coast and you're the middle of no where
what do you call soda?
:)

I call it either or depending on how much I want to annoy Brian at any given moment.

Back