Making a patch cable CAT5 5e 6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
I know some of you guys do this type of stuff.
I am needing to run some cable at home for home office use and have some CAT5 spooled wire, and just ordered a crimp tool and RJ45 connectors from amazon.
Any pointers I should watch out for? I know about the pairings and braiding and use the same color codes on both ends etc. Back up plan is a 50 or 100 ft pre-made cable which are already both on hand. I just don't want to drill half inch holes in my house when a much smaller hole with do if I can get these ends on the cable myself.

Back story, OL works in health care and is being moved to 100% WAH. Work is putting in a dedicated business class cable line. WIFI is a strict no-no apparently.

More back story. The electrician that wired our office screwed the pooch by using the A scheme on one end of the cables and the B scheme on the other end of the cables. The day the office moved in we ended up having to pay the IT people to speed test and redo all the cables. So I know enough to ask you guys ahead of time.

Your first 10 or so cables are gonna suck, so practice a few times on a short piece that you can cut down and retry a few times until you get a feel for it.
Don't strip the wires before hand.
Make sure the connector is facing the right way when you try and line up the wires (I always do tab up, some folks always do tab down, just be consistent to make sure the order is correct).

Newer switches it won't matter if it's a crossover.

I have had better luck running from non-pre-made spools, and doing jacks/plates. There is always the chance of snagging and ripping off the tabs making them almost useless... ESPECIALLY if the walls are insulated.

I have had better luck running from non-pre-made spools, and doing jacks/plates. There is always the chance of snagging and ripping off the tabs making them almost useless... ESPECIALLY if the walls are insulated.

I agree. And if aesthetics matter the plates are the way to go. I hate to just drill a big hole and stuff a fitting through. Drives me crazy

So I ended up having a spool of 5e in the basement at the office from our 2005-2007 ish build out.
Ordered the crimp tool and ends from amazon with a tester.
Cut off a couple 4-6 inch pieces to give it a practice run. Did 2 fittings on one piece and it tested ok so I just went for it.

Tried to drill a 1/4" hole but the drill bit wasn't long enough to make it through the baseboard, hardwood and subfloor.
Ended up having to use the 3/8" bit anyway as it was longer and long enough. Ran the wire, installed ends, tested with tester, and then hooked it up.
All in all I consider it a success. Went a lot smoother than I figured it would.

I wish I had a longer 1/4" drill bit but I don't care about the baseboard as its trash anyway.
If it were new baseboard and drywall I would have considered a plate for aesthetics, but chances are the room will be redone in a few years anyway.

Thanks for all the pointers and tips. I use the B scheme and tab down.

Back