Matt's GTR Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1538607667177.jpg

Is that a new wing?

how much faster is it now?

I'll know at the end of the month when I run on a track I've run previously. The last event I ran was at a new track for me so I didn't have any lap times to compare to. Generally speaking, it feels much better in the corners - much less roll and more rotation throughout the corner. It feels significantly more stable when hauling it down from ~140 mph at the end of a straight, too.

Yep! Did carbon wing, splitter, side skirts and added front and rear sway bars as well.

So...dumb, (but honest) question. How did you pick the wing? Are there reviews and testing online or did you just buy based on aesthetics? I know nothing about aerodynamic technology.

So...dumb, (but honest) question. How did you pick the wing? Are there reviews and testing online or did you just buy based on aesthetics? I know nothing about aerodynamic technology.

It was tough because not many companies post actual measurements (xxx of downforce @ xxx mph), so my decision was mostly based on a few dedicated race car reviews on the GTR forums. There are ridiculously expensive options that will adjust the angle of attack based on mph, etc. similar to the dynamic aero systems becoming commonplace on newer supercars, but I saw little potential benefit in the additional (ridiculous) cost. I narrowed it down to APR or Aeromotions and really didn't care which I bought. I found a good deal on a used GTC500 and called it a day. I got the front lip mostly for the brake cooling ducts, but it does add a little downforce to the front of the car which helps the balance.

It was tough because not many companies post actual measurements (xxx of downforce @ xxx mph), so my decision was mostly based on a few dedicated race car reviews on the GTR forums. There are ridiculously expensive options that will adjust the angle of attack based on mph, etc. similar to the dynamic aero systems becoming commonplace on newer supercars, but I saw little potential benefit in the additional (ridiculous) cost. I narrowed it down to APR or Aeromotions and really didn't care which I bought. I found a good deal on a used GTC500 and called it a day. I got the front lip mostly for the brake cooling ducts, but it does add a little downforce to the front of the car which helps the balance.

Awesome, thanks for that.

damn that car looks good

How does the monthly cost of ownership of a GTR compare to the Tesla? I can't imagine either are cheap to own. (assuming payment, insurance, energy source)

Payment and insurance on the Tesla are high. Energy is not bad. I get discounted rate from PG&E. Monthly bill went up ~$80 a month where my gas bill was around $300 a month prior. I also get unlimited use of superchargers for life. I supercharge maybe once every other week.

damn that car looks good
Thanks man! The color definitely keeps it exciting.
How does the monthly cost of ownership of a GTR compare to the Tesla? I can't imagine either are cheap to own. (assuming payment, insurance, energy source)
My payment was $550/mo, I'd say ~$1,200/mo total.. including some mod money. I always tell people add $1k on to the monthly payment to own, maintain, mod.. $500/mo to just own and maintain.
Payment and insurance on the Tesla are high. Energy is not bad. I get discounted rate from PG&E. Monthly bill went up ~$80 a month where my gas bill was around $300 a month prior. I also get unlimited use of superchargers for life. I supercharge maybe once every other week.
That isn't as bad as I was expecting

Back