Matt's s2k Build (Project Mess2k)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wow! did prior owner "build" this motor?
This is all very amazing. Impressed it ran well enough for you to beat on it a little.
Any difference between the 2 cranks you mentioned?
Did you rip this motor down yourself? or did a shop send you those pics?

Whoa. That's some serious shade tree mechanic action. Cig butt in the filter housing...
Right? I can only imagine the smirk this guy must have right now.. lol
wow! did prior owner "build" this motor?
This is all very amazing. Impressed it ran well enough for you to beat on it a little.
Any difference between the 2 cranks you mentioned?
Did you rip this motor down yourself? or did a shop send you those pics?
The f20/f22c block is the same. The crankshaft, rods, pistons are different. I'll be going with an f20c rotating assembly merely because it's cheaper.
The previous owner bought the car shortly after the engine had been rebuilt and hardly drove it. He put maybe 2k on it before selling it.
I didn't tear the engine down. I sent it to InlinePro because I simply don't have time to dedicate to a proper engine rebuild right now. John has been great so far and was very surprised by the cigarette butt.. lolol

I have no words... lol . Sorry man, that is a real downer. Can't to see this thing alive again.
It's all good. I bought someone else's project and knew there was a risk I'd have something like this happen. Part of the reason I got this car is to have a project to work on again, so I guess it is delivering in that aspect lol

I managed to find a clean crankshaft, finally. This engine dropped a valve and I was able to witness pulling the caps off of the rods, etc. so I could verify there were no bearing issues. The surfaces are about as perfect as it gets.

On another note, the F20C is just stupid expensive. I'll probably do a couple seasons on this engine then pull it in favor of a K24/K20 mated to the stock transmission. It looks like a relatively easy swap to do.

this thread got sad fast..
My goal is to have the engine in this car more often than it's out. If I can accomplish that.. great success!
K24 swap would be awesome. More power and more aftermarket support on a cheaper platform.
I'll be putting the F20C back in for now. But when the time comes, running F20C long blocks are going for ~$3500.. more than enough to get me started on a K-Swap. I just have to make sure I don't blow it up (again :rolleyes:) between now and then.

@Matts96HB when you're done building that car and sick and tired of it, sell it to me. kthx.

Of course! :)

There's not much to report on the s2k, unfortunately. I recently moved from TX -> ID so I have it in storage for the time being. I'm building a house, 2 jobs, gf, so free time is non-existent lol. I will hopefully find a shop with a lift and get the engine tossed in soon. The good news is the house I'm building has a 40x40' shop.. more on that later.

I know you're busy with your new house, what is the latest here @Matts96HB ?
Latest is.. the car hasn't been touched. lol

I am getting ready to travel for two weeks but I hope to get it on a lift when I get back. It just needs the engine and trans dropped back in, then I can register and put some street miles on it to get acclimated. :)

Mounted up the engine and transmission today, few misc. things to tidy up then I can drive!
20200913_163416.jpg

I worked on the car for about an hour this weekend and decided to remove the oil cooler for now. I dumped the remaining oil out of the core and it was PACKED with bearing material. I'll either find a parts washer that I can use or just buy a new setup altogether.

The car has oil, coolant, and trans fluid in it now. I'm just waiting on a dip stick (should be here today or tomorrow) and a knock sensor (should be here in the next few days). Also need to get a battery and bleed the brakes but that will likely get done this week, too.

Back