Matt's s2k Build (Project Mess2k)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Is the oil cooler aftermarket? Surprised that material wasn't caught by the filter first. Ick.

Is the oil cooler aftermarket? Surprised that material wasn't caught by the filter first. Ick.
Yea it's a Mishimoto. I suspect the filter was already clogged with material and wasn't able to catch anything else. lol

After chasing a really stupid wiring issue, I finally got the car running yesterday. I crossed the wires on the intake cam position sensor when I was attempting to fix the wiring there.. :facepalm:

Now time to bleed the brakes, get a temp tag, and pack some miles on this thing.

Tucked away in the garage at my duplex for now.. bumper is back on and I should have it tagged early next week

20210422_201242.jpg

I've enjoyed the hell out of this thing over the Summer months. The ~1400 lb weight difference from the ZL1 and GTR is refreshing as well as the feedback and overall "fun to drive" factor. I haven't been to a track day yet but have done a few autocrosses where the car performed well.

The F20C is cool and all but parts are growing rare and expensive for the platform. It's especially risky when you consider making anything more than stock (or mild NA) power. So, over the course of this fall/winter, I am planning on doing the following:
  • LS3 with TR6060 (will get a cam, intake, headers, exhaust, tune)
  • Import Muscle LS S2000 Swap Kit
  • Holley Terminator X w/DBW support and 7" screen
  • Driveshaft Shop Driveshaft
  • XPerformance Ford 8.8 rear diff kit
  • Custom half shafts
  • Aviaid Dry Sump
  • Aeromotive Fuel Cell and pump
The goal with the swap is to achieve a reliable 450 whp; the purpose of the build as a whole is a fun track day/time trial focused car. I'll definitely be upgrading wheels, tires, and adding a big brake setup for the rear. The aero bits could use some help but I'll tackle that after the chassis is where I'd like it to be.

Sacrilege? Maybe. Fun? Absolutely.

K swap and a mild turbo??
A lot of shops getting to s of power out of those
I considered this route but decided against it because I've seen too many issues with turbocharged cars (especially non-OEM setups) on track. That, combined with additional heat soak in the engine bay/front end, has steered me away from any form of FI for now. That's not to say I won't wind up looking at some form of boost on the LS in the future :ph34r: but for now, roughly 450 whp will get me to the power/weight ratio I'm after:
  • S2000 weighs around 2864 from factory, 500 crank hp will put me at 5.70 lb/hp
  • ZL1 1LE weighs 3850 from factory, 650 crank hp was around 6.42 lb/hp
Realistically, my s2000 weighs a little less than factory (maybe 2650 after the LS swap) and the ZL1 1LE had a few bolt-ons that helped make it a bit more power, so I'll definitely be in the ballpark. That'll put me in TT1 for NASA which is exactly where I'd like to be.

Would it be possible to find a blown up S2k for this project?
Or is it not worth it?

Would it be possible to find a blown up S2k for this project?
Or is it not worth it?
It isn't worth it IMO. Clean title S2Ks are currently fetching a minimum of 15k for a high mileage or clapped out example. This car has lower miles (~63k), clean title, and a lot of track goodies already installed. I can sell the stock drivetrain for roughly 6k given it was recently rebuilt, which will offset some of my cost to do the LS swap.

Back