MBR, Win Xp Pro and Linux

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
I have tried getting this from computer forums, but am impatient, and they are the slow.

I am dual booting (two hard drives) Linux and Xp pro now using GRUB installed on the MBR. I have the Xp HD set to master and the Linux jumped to slave. Now when I install WinXp 64 it is going to erase the MBR and consequently GRUB. Now, I am planning on trying to reinstall GRUB on the MBR using
Code:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
off the rescue disc, but if for some reason it doesn't work I am going to try using the Windows bootloader. Now, I know it should work just fine, since before my brother in law wrote it to the boot.ini when I was dual booting Xp in english, and Xp in german on another HD. But the problem is, he added the line, I didn't, so I don't know what to write.

What I am looking for is if some can write out teh bootloader to give the choice to boot from the Linux HD also :)

I know it should look something like this...
Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="FedoraCore 4" /fastdetect
But not to clear on the specifics.

Thanks ahead of time.

If it's on one physical hard drive, just change the partition number to hit the different installed partitions. If it's on two different drives- play with the disk number. I don't think it's the rdisk, but I'm not sure.

Ok, so I just need to change the numbers in parenthesis to coordinate with the HD I am trying to boot from? In other words, if the Linux install is on the slave, which is second in boot order, it would be multi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)....or maybe disk(1)

BTW, I am typing this from Deer Park 1.0+ the new 64bit Mozilla browser ;)

I wound up reinstalling Linux anyway :) thanks though. I was having trouble getting FC4 to write to the MBR, it has never been able to, I have to install FC3 then install FC4 over it, weird. I was informed (could have been wrong) that it would have to be two Windows NT based HD's in order for it to boot from the Windows bootloader, something at filesystems, and the path to Linux as far as boot up, I don't know.

What's funny is, since I got FC4 reinstalled and configured I haven't even booted back into Xp 64 :( haha, I am today though, I want to test its compatibility with PS, and I have to install HL2 :)

Back