Miata vs S2000 used car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was going to NJ today to buy this one, but figured it might be better to wait for the one I really want.
I had the cash in hand, ran the carfax, and had my insurance people working on the card.
Of note - the car fax shows 3 owners, one as a fleet, then a corporate owner, then the long term owner.
I believe the car was used as a dealership car, and used mostly by the owner of the dealer ship.

It's just so clean.

Not sure if someone cleared under the hood, it's a touch too shiny.
Damn, yeah, that looks really nice.

S2000, 127k miles.
Purchased 2008 with about 54k miles, new clutch installed 6 months later due to transmission 3rd gear grind so tranny was replaced.
Timing chain tensioner done. New tires, etc.

Needs a top.
Honda quoted me 14 hours labor = 2366 without materials, would need to know VIN to see if they could even get a top
They will NOT install anything but factory Honda.

Another interior/exterior shop quoted me about 3300 for an S2000 Robbins top with new cables on both sides.
(Same shop says about $1k less for a Miata top with new rain rail, etc. Robbins)

I talked to the guy on the phone, seems reasonable
realized 18k was a big ask needing a top.
He said come take a look at it, and make me an offer.
KBB in very good condition is 13-17k, so I was thinking to offer 12-14k?

sounds reasonable to me. it will be worth way more than you paid if you flip just after repairing the top ;)

does it have any service records?

S2000 had rust in both rear quarters just behind the wheels, and the top was more than a little fked.
He wouldn't go below $14k, so I'm gonna have to pass.

The search continues.

The options
2002 Miata LS 93k miles, silver exterior, but tan interior and top, asking $11,990

2007 Miata Touring, silver with black, 108k miles, not prht
This guy comes back from vacation on the 7th, trying to get to see him on the 8th
Asking 9998, not firm

2007 PRHT grand touring, silver with black, 153k miles and 3.5 hours away
Asking 9900

2003 LS, silver with black, softtop, only 43k miles.
Asking 11,900, lowest they will take is 10,900, tried to get tax included, did not succeed

2001 LS with 125k miles, silver with tan seats and top, asking 7395

2001 NON LS 96k miles, asking 8800

2015 Grand Touring with PRHT, Silver with black, 48k miles, super clean, asking $25k LOLOLOLOLOL

how do you plan to retrieve the car, just ship it up? my friend always flies to a place with a bank check and drives the cars home after having them properly inspected.

how do you plan to retrieve the car, just ship it up? my friend always flies to a place with a bank check and drives the cars home after having them properly inspected.
Yes, I was just going to have it shipped up to NY.
For the $500 bucks, not really worth the drive down 5+ hours.

So far I have driven, S2k, NB Miata and today drove a ND Miata.

The NB was okay, had 125k miles, pulled hard, coolant was down to the fins, and overflow was overfilled.
Ran it for a long long time and it never got warm. I think the radiator cap was still bad.
The guy said they put a clutch in it, but the throw-out bearing was making a lot of noise, and there was a weird disengagement of the clutch at the end of the throw.

The ND today was a 2016 with 86k miles.
$17,500 - had front and rear damage. Could not tell any damage on visual inspection.
The whole front end was covered with rock chips, so either the paint was shit - or the female driver that traded the car in was a bit of a chronic tailgater.
I can't think of any other reason to have that many rock chips in a car not that old.
They would only budge $340 on total price, and the car still needed to "go through the shop for inspection/mechanicals etc

The ND pulled very hard. The redline cut at 7k was sharp.
Was struggling for traction in a shift to 2nd, so had decent power.

The whole front end was covered with rock chips, so either the paint was shit - or the female driver that traded the car in was a bit of a chronic tailgater.
I can't think of any other reason to have that many rock chips in a car not that old.
Could it have been towed behind an rv or something?

No new updates.
Still on the search.

For Miata I've narrowed down my likes to the 99-04, silver with black interior, and the LS wheels.
I also like the 2013-2015 Grand Touring rims, with power hardtop, which is considerably more money.
S2000 would still be a consideration, but it's more at the high end of "play money" I want to devote to this car.
I can't really have a garage queen without a garage, and I can't have a weekend car that's worth more than my daily driver lol

I've recently also been looking at mustang GT convertibles, with the thought of a Kenne Bell blower... mostly because I've done the turbo route, and would like to try the SC route. V8 and blower are really the only two positives of this path, and I can get a used blower on the cheap, relatively speaking.

In other news - I need a right total reverse shoulder replacement.... so realistically speaking, I should probably put the purchase off until after I can actually drive and shift properly. Getting old is awesome!

If I were still in the wrenching game the NC with power hardtop and motor swap would 100% be the path I would want to take.

Back