Micron measurements

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

abdelsol

I was at one of my customers today and they were fine tuning a gage. I have designed many gages but never with a tolerance of 0.0005mm or 20 millionths of an inch. Common tolerances are 1 or 2 microns. this gage was increadable but I do not believe it can be done without enviroment control and temp compensation.

523184_49_full.jpg

This is a scaled representation of a human hair to 1 micron.

Anyone believe something like this will actually repeat?

Edit: fixed image

Repeat as in what? Their are only a few things that I remember measuring or needing to measure at a ten thousandth of an inch. What were they measuring or needing to measure?

Sorry, used some business lingo. When we say repeat that means if you gage a part take it off and gage it again will the gage give you the same measurement.

The part is the spool for a fuel injector.

I am a machinest, and at my previous job I refinished mechanical seals. i had to hold 3 millionths of an inch of uniform flatness on my seals and i can say without a doubt there is no way that gauge will repeat without an environmentally sealed room. If you just touch the part the transfer of body heat can raise the surface 7 milllionths. Ive had to tell many customers to stick parts in there a$$ becuase they took the part out of my environmentally sealed room into there shit environment and then try to check that close of a tolerance.

Back