Miles?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BallinPrelude

Just curious... what do u all consider to be too many miles on a car that is being tuned before its not worth it? Mine has 97000 so i figure its still got some time left but my good friend is tuning is Prelude and it has 134000? And this other guys civic has 149000. Both r wanting to tune the hell out of there rides and i was havin my doubts if there motors can handle it. Whats too many miles would u guess??? Im just trying to get ur input so they dont ruin ther cars. thanks

Tuning how exactly?

If their engines are in great shape, there's no problem.

If they're replacing internal wear parts, there's no problem there either.

If they're ragging on worn out engines to try and get maximum power, there could be a problem. Mileage on its own is not a good indicator of what kind of shape an engine is in.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 11 2003, 01:06 AM
If they're ragging on worn out engines to try and get maximum power, there could be a problem. Mileage on its own is not a good indicator of what kind of shape an engine is in.

:werd:

You can have 15k miles on a motor and it be trashed, or have 115k miles and it run as strong as it did the day it was bought.

i agree with domeskilla on that one, i used to have a crx si that had 124k when i got it. that thing ran so strong because it was takin care of and not abused.

my 2cents is that you should pick up a compression tester, usually 10-40 dollars at your local parts or tool store and check the compression on your motor(s) during your planning stage. i go agree that mileage is no indicator. if compression checks out it will help you to rule out having the bottom end and or top end redone for mild modifications. of course no one will recommend a lot a nos or high boost without built motors and or drivetrain. Goodluck.

Back