motherboard died

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

got it up and working...

windows doesn't load, kinda expected this being new hardware...
windows repair attempts to load... but then just locks up.

looks like i need to format/re-install :(
i'm going to hit up staples in the morning and try to find a cheap <100gb drive for 30 bucks or something, install the os on that new drive and keep my current drive as data. Still, i'll have to re-install all my programs again :(

Yeah, if you could uninstall your existing mobo drivers it would work. :(

Situations like this are why I started keeping separate 100gb partitions for OS/apps and keep data on other partitions.

I have a drive that's 30 or 40gb you can have.

got it up and working...

windows doesn't load, kinda expected this being new hardware...
windows repair attempts to load... but then just locks up.

looks like i need to format/re-install :(
i'm going to hit up staples in the morning and try to find a cheap <100gb drive for 30 bucks or something, install the os on that new drive and keep my current drive as data. Still, i'll have to re-install all my programs again :(

B,

Remind to never let you around my computer....your like a fucking bad luck charm for computers

this is really the first time i've had bad luck... i've built 5+ machines in recent years for myself and never had any problems.

parts are just getting worse, unreliable, and cheaper.

the nightmare continues...

bought a new 1tb drive at staples.

bios detects it fine.

ran a memory check in bios, everything passed.

put my win7 disc in... setup copies files, goes to windows is start splash screen, hangs
tried vista disc, same thing
tried xp disc, same thing.

so, i can't fucking install an os on this god damn thing. WTF?

could be a few of things.

1) either the discs you have are bad.
2) disc drive ate shit
3) **most likely** mobo BIOS needs update because of conflicts.
4) hard drive is bad. Im sure you can check by putting in windows disk and do recovery console and chkdsk command.
5) RAM is bad. Can check with Windows 7 disc or memtest86+

oh yeah a couple of things I recommend doing when installing new OS. Use 1 memory stick and do not have overclock setting (probably doesnt apply here).

and for some old reason, Win 7 is really hard to install. Really picky about stuff, but I found the easiest and most reliable for me was to install via USB boot.

disc is fine... i used to to install about a month ago.
drive is fine... it boots up prperly and copies pre install files over before dying. and it happened on all 3 os versions
hdd isn't bad, brand new, works in bios, and win would throw an error about it if it couldn't read it.
ran memtest. ram is fine. have all 4 sticks in there. will try 1 stick.

bios seems ok. 3/09 is the build date. the disc that came with the mb isn't bootable, so i can't do anything about it until i get an os on there to even see whats on it.

it looks like battle pope hit it. if you look at the BIOS revision 5/13/09 is the earliest to support Athlon and Phenom II.

2 options.

1) if you have an older AM2 Athlon,stick it in and install OS and flash.

2) create a bootable USB stick or flash ram and flash via DOS.

if you need help creating a bootable stick, AIM me at heavenxnxearth on AOL and ill give you a hand.

but before hand, boot the system and see what kind of BIOS you have. It should Award, Phoenix, AMI or something like that. Each may have different steps.

Last edited:
actually that just saves you a step/file flashing via DOS environment. if you read the instructions, it says "insert disk into floppy drive," so its say to assume you still need to have a bootable device.

in this case, all you may have to do is create a bootable usb and copy the file to drive. then stick the drive in and enter BIOS and flash it with the built in utility.

it doesnt need to be bootable. he has a working computer right now that undoubtedly has a usb port on it. he can just put the file on there, boot, hit update bios and work. i truly hope it doesnt REQUIRE a floppy. cause that would be epic fail yo.

Back