Motorcycle suggestions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thanks for all the inputs on opinions for this. going to take it all into consideration. going to miss my GS500E since it already sold :-(. Beautiful orange bike. Can't complain sold within 2 days of posting and for only a margin less than what I bought it for. At that in the middle of winter and double the miles pf when i first got it.
l_5310b0845cf4a033ce85d8dfafbfd923.jpg

I may settle for the 750 range, but that all depends on what I can find.

just a heads up about the 750s
they tend to be a bit harder to sell (at least around here)

most new riders want to start out on a 600
and most riders who are moving up want to go 900+ and dont think a 750 will be enough of a jump

i see a lot of 750s sitting around up for sale for a long time
several dealerships around me wont take them in as trades because of the poor resale

just something to keep in mind (you sound like you are more working your way through bikes than looking for something to keep)

I really don't get the lean trikes that are still keeping the layout of the everyday motorcycle. The suspension seems to give it a higher center of gravity, or at least keeping the rider sitting higher in the corners. People will push these things to their limits and cause a potential and spin out. Problem is it does appear to wide enough front wheels to prevent a roll over, or if it does, the rider will be in for one heck of a ride being on top. For the most part I see it as a novelty, or for people just starting on a motorcycle. Harley sort of alleviates this by widening the front end a little more than what I have seen in most lean trikes.

I'm saying if your going to build a 2 wheeled reverse trike, why not go the route of the Campaigna T-Rex. Keeps a nice low center of gravity setting the occupant/driver lower and doesn't look as unstable. Even widening up the front end could help a lot, like the Can Am Spyder.

Why am i ranting about this. I wont be looking at this till it warms up a little, much less I wont even be looking at trikes, or anything Buell/Harley. Too much ice on the road today.

:werd:

The trike was re-invented triumphantly. Now they're going backwards. Way to go Harley with decade+ old technology. Again.

For their next trick, they are going to un-do all of the advances made in aerodynamics by removing the fairings from sport bikes to make them look cool! Oh wait..

Last edited:
There seems to be an awful lot of negativity towards Harley. Not that I am a fan, but it makes me wonder if I don't know something that everyone else does...

I enjoy my import bikes. I doubt I will ever get an American bike, but since I have never really experienced one on an intimate level, I can't really cast judgment on them.

strictly dealing with cruisers here
essentially Harleys are for people who want to buy a name or buy into a culture
people who want real performance or actually like to ride buy "metric cruisers"
the "metric cruisers" that the Harley guys love to crack on for being "fake Harleys" more often than not, are more comfortable, better built, more reliable, have better performance, and cost 25-50% less than their HD counterparts

Harleys are over weight, under performing, under handling, under braking, high maintenance, unreliable piles of shit, and the only reason people buy them is for the name or culture of "Harley Davidson"

I have a metric cruiser, and I love the thing. Steve has ridden it several times himself, and he enjoys the bike thoroughly. It is currently sitting in the living room, waiting to get some road time come nicer weather.

From a distance, you can't tell it's not an American bike. Has a "lobey" sound and has all the chrome trim, is comfy as hell, and I have yet to fix anything on it since I bought it well over a year ago. General maintenance aside, I just turn the key, fill it up, and go.

exactly... while an HD sits in a garage with a cookie sheet under it to catch the dripping oil, waiting for some repair parts to come in

if your new to riding a sv650 would be a good route to go... and if you dont like naked a sv650s looks a little bit better
This is the way that i would go also. I've been riding for over 10 years and i wish that they would have had a bike like this when i started. The bike will keep you occupied longer because the performance is equivilant to sportbike and the styling will is right up there with most sportbikes.

The trike designs out there combine the worst of a bike with the worst of a car. But barring my ignorance, my friend rode the CanAm several times, and states it's a blast. He thinks it's the best of both worlds.

One trike I DO have a lot of experience with is the Piaggio MP3 / MP5 . This type of trike will still fall over if you let go of it. It rides and feels like a motorcycle. The key is that it catches amazing traction on corners. Like, you can't fool it. An MP3 will corner better than any sportbike out there. And, it catches a "neat amount" of traction in the snow (My friend rides his in few-inches-deep snow, but also rode his Stella in snow, and I've ridden my VespaGT200, my Ninja 250 and my 1200 in light snow too)

The design is a BMW design for a skateboard from the 80s.

I'm saying if your going to build a 2 wheeled reverse trike, why not go the route of the Campaigna T-Rex. Keeps a nice low center of gravity setting the occupant/driver lower and doesn't look as unstable. Even widening up the front end could help a lot, like the Can Am Spyder.
I LOVE the T-rex. I wish I could afford one. And I do see a few Can Am Spyders around every once in a while. They're odd looking, but still pretty damn cool.

There seems to be an awful lot of negativity towards Harley. Not that I am a fan, but it makes me wonder if I don't know something that everyone else does...

Go research WHY the engines have that patented potato-potato sound and you'll wonder at the design... one reason why I'll never own one.

Harleys are over weight, under performing, under handling, under braking, high maintenance, unreliable piles of shit, and the only reason people buy them is for the name or culture of "Harley Davidson"

:nod:

The trike designs out there combine the worst of a bike with the worst of a car. But barring my ignorance, my friend rode the CanAm several times, and states it's a blast. He thinks it's the best of both worlds.

Set up the suspension right and the reverse trike setup handles amazingly well. You see quite a few of your aggressive car setups cornering on three wheels anyway. ;)

just a heads up about the 750s
they tend to be a bit harder to sell (at least around here)

most new riders want to start out on a 600
and most riders who are moving up want to go 900+ and dont think a 750 will be enough of a jump

i see a lot of 750s sitting around up for sale for a long time
several dealerships around me wont take them in as trades because of the poor resale

just something to keep in mind (you sound like you are more working your way through bikes than looking for something to keep)

I'm in love with the GSXR750. I agree about the jump, but the "jump of power" on the same "compact" 600 frame is amazing. I've ridden my cousins older gsxr750 and I've ridden a gsxr600(had an 05) and it was night and day in power, and yet it wasn't a complete rocket (gsxr1000) like I've ridden in the past. To me, it had all that I wanted in a bigger bike, and all that I enjoyed in a smaller bike, and I plan to buy one after I get into a house this coming summer.

But like you said, it isn't the liter bike, and it isn't the spindly 600 super sport.

Go research WHY the engines have that patented potato-potato sound and you'll wonder at the design... one reason why I'll never own one.
Harleys have this uncanny ability to turn fuel into noise and excessive vibration. Given their Buells are a step in the right direction. They are generally overpriced and if I remember correctly, had protection from the US government to promote sales in the 80's by the ways of tariffs.

Most who buy a Harley, buy it for the name.

these days i would prefer to go for yamaha yzf (rossi edition). its special edition and rare in markets.get yours soon. will fit your budget.

Back