moving to DC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ahedau

Just found out I got a promotion at work. I'm moving to our home office in Chevy Chase, MD. I'll be living in Rockville, MD on the company dime. In addition to rent, the company pays for basic utilities (elec, H2O, cable, phone, etc). I also get a raise and an expense account.

I'll be traveling to all our regional offices (San Diego, Dallas, Lakeland, FL, Woodbury, NY to name a few) as a part of the job as well.

My wife and kids are excited about moving the Nation's Captial and soaking up all the history in and around the area. They freaked when they found out we're only an hour-and-a-half from Hershey Park.

For me, we're less than 2 hours away from 3 NASCAR tracks & Summit Point. Several others are an easy day's drive. Plus, the DC regional SCCA averages 150+ at their auto-x events so I'll finally get some in-class competition. Hopefully, the wife will not get too upset about diverting the savings from utilities to racing & getting the Civic to full DSP prep.

Anyway, I'm excited & thought I'd share.

Congrats... being a maryland-er is cool i guess. It gets boring after a while but good luck and the national mall is definatly a site to see.

Holy fuck. Have you ever BEEN to Washington DC?

There is a reason their mayor is a thrice elected CRACK ADDICT, Ho buying JOHN..

If the world needed an enema, the tube would be jammed into the potomac.

-> But hey, congrats !

Congrats, now hook me up with a job. I'm sick of the blue collar end of the business. :lol:
Good luck with the move.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jan 20 2005, 10:13 PM
Holy fuck. Have you ever BEEN to Washington DC?

There is a reason their mayor is a thrice elected CRACK ADDICT, Ho buying JOHN..

If the world needed an enema, the tube would be jammed into the potomac.

-> But hey, congrats !
[post=448917]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah.. I've visited several times but this will be my first time living there. I'm not living in D.C. We'll be in Montgomery County, MD. From what I've been told, a night & day difference. It's only a 2 yr hitch so I think we can stand it if it isn't what we expect..

Thanks for the well wishes!!

DC is a bad ass town, other than San Francisco, it is my favorite town in this country. It is a shit load of fun.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 20 2005, 11:46 PM
crime sucks. lock yoru shit up y0 r it will be gone
[post=448968]Quoted post[/post]​

Rockville isnt bad at all. in fact its a very very very very big car town.
some of the baddest assed cars from the area go up there on weekends.

be warned rockville is very asianish.

=)

his house might not be, but if hes driving into the city eeryday....

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 21 2005, 12:07 AM
[post=448992]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm moving to our home office in Chevy Chase, MD. I'll be living in Rockville, MD

Sounds like DC will be more of a go on a fun only bases. DC has some really shitty areas like REALLY REALLY shity! however if you go down town and stick with the nice areas it really isnt bad at all.

2 bedroom condos/townhouses can go for over 1 million in DC when in the nicer areas.

the shiity areas... well a few years back they were giving homes away as long as you signed something saying you would fix it up.

Originally posted by jeffie7+Jan 21 2005, 02:18 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Jan 21 2005, 12:07 AM
[post=448992]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm moving to our home office in Chevy Chase, MD. I'll be living in Rockville, MD

Sounds like DC will be more of a go on a fun only bases. DC has some really shitty areas like REALLY REALLY shity! however if you go down town and stick with the nice areas it really isnt bad at all.

2 bedroom condos/townhouses can go for over 1 million in DC when in the nicer areas.

the shiity areas... well a few years back they were giving homes away as long as you signed something saying you would fix it up.
[post=449030]Quoted post[/post]​

We'll be living in a townhouse in a place called KingFarm. I toured the area when I was up for the interview. The houses their are selling for nearly a million dollars. Our 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1700 sq ft townhouse rents for ~$2100/mth. The whole Rockville area, the little that I saw, is very nice.

We have off the street parking at work & if we go into D.C., it will most likely always be by metro. KingFarm has a shuttle that takes you to the Shady Grove station and from there, you can go anywhere. Well, not anywhere but you know wut I mean...

Originally posted by BodyDroppedNikes@Jan 21 2005, 06:17 AM
DC aint bad, just stay out of Georgetown. thats a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad place to be in.
[post=449050]Quoted post[/post]​

i hope this is a joke? Georgetown is one of the poshist area's in DC?

DC is nice adams morgan, georgtown and chinatown are the nicest areas to go and drink/party other than the major site areas.

Rockville is pretty high class, recomendation, look into the metro. Rockville is right at the end of the redline and that top side of the 495 beltway is litterally #2 worst traffic in the country. Litterally. So go to www.metroopensdoors.com can the train, it's not dirty like you would think. I had a lot of misconceptions about riding the metro but it's all business people. It can be a bit expensive but you'll pay 15 bucks a day to park in DC so drive to a metro and take that in.. TRUST ME

You're also clost to capital raceway (5 mins from me) and semi close to maryland international raceway (2 hours). Also, dont neglect Baltimore. that downtown area is more fun than DC IMO but thats my hometown.

Welcome to the hood (civicland.com has a big concentration of DC metro people, we have a lot of get -togethers)

NOVA isnt too bad of an area

#1 if you see a car from mayland, do your best to get away from it, they cant drive

#2 bring a pillow and blanket for rush hour

#3 NEVER drive into DC, take metro, or you wil be using that blanket and pillow alot

#4 If you have adjustable shocks make them softer, the roads blow

#5 never ever ever speed in fairfax county, you WILL get a ticket, and it wont be cheap

#6 learn spanish

other than that welcome and have fun

Originally posted by racintweek@Jan 21 2005, 10:46 AM

#1 if you see a car from mayland, do your best to get away from it, they cant drive

[post=449104]Quoted post[/post]​

psh, your high you tards couldn't drive your way out of a wet paper bag

Originally posted by mdlax1@Jan 21 2005, 05:14 PM

psh, your high you tards couldn't drive your way out of a wet paper bag
[post=449292]Quoted post[/post]​

MD people drive like they have a paper bag over their heads
if you guys would just stay in MD and stop coming to VA for jobs we wouldnt have this problem... :p

Back