My 98 EJ7 a work in progress

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98EkSi

Figured I would post up my build process of my 98 Civic Hx EJ7. I have had this car for 3-4 years now, picked it up from a good friend for $1000 cash bone stock with some minor body damage. He hit a cow and trashed the hood passenger head light, fender, door and mirror. It was well taken care of but needed some TLC. I replaced the hood with an unpainted primer hood, JDM style smoked head lights and a new side mirror, stil rocking the faded hood and dented door and fender, yea. As I said bought it bone stock but quickly added an AEM CAI to the D16Y5 Vtec E motor and started researching turbos for the single cam. An axle back followed shortly after.
random006-1.jpg

jillspics688-1.jpg

jillspics690.jpg

jillspics689.jpg

jillspics686.jpg

jillspics685.jpg

jillspics687.jpg

After doning a bunch of research on the Y5 motor and finding it was useless are a tuner motor I got this for $800 long block with 60K axles, trans, harness and ECU
jillspics714.jpg

jillspics716.jpg

jillspics715.jpg

After I did the swap, fully OBD2 functional and legal swap with no issues. Used a 98 Civic Dx harness the Hx harness was a pain to rewire and a OBD2 P75 ECU.
DSCF0917.jpg

DSCF0916.jpg

DSCF0918.jpg

Lowered it on cheap coilovers that I hated
DSCF0920.jpg

After tunning on Hondata the B18B1 made
B18.jpg

That kept me happy for a while but I had always wanted to have a DOHC Vtec motor having built many in the past for customers it got me wanting one for years.
So this started to happen
random011.jpg
B16 head fully rebuilt with all OE parts and 3 angel valve job.
H22 Type S LMA with custom shims went it
jillspics717.jpg

Hey what happened to my head?!
jillspics719.jpg

and a day later
Vtec001.jpg

Vtec002.jpg

Vtec003.jpg

Vtec004.jpg

Then it was back to the dyno to get retuned for Vtec
Tim at SRD doing the magic tune
Vtec008.jpg

And the results are in
NEILPOWER.jpg

Here is what she looks like today, now lowered on Eibach and GR2.
DSCF0922.jpg

DSCF0926.jpg

DSCF0924.jpg

DSCF0920.jpg

DSCF0927.jpg

DSCF0928.jpg

Mod list
Ls Vtec stock B18B1 block with ARP rod bolts
Rebuilt B16 head
S80 LS tran
DC short shifter
ES shifter bushings
JDM ITR shift knob
AEM CAI
4-2-1 header
Custom 2.5 inch cat back
Port matched B16 intake
Eibach Springs (red ones)
GR2 struts
99 Si rear sway bay
93 Del Sol Si rear disc conversion
Baer slotted vented front rotors with Hawk pads
Blox solid trailing arm bushings
Skunk2 rear strut bar
Ebay front strut bar
JDM Sport front camber kit
BWR rear camber kit
Plans in the works are a turbo kit with a goal of 250-300whp.

Last edited:
^^ where are you getting 25hp? Tuning the Ls gained 15whp plus whatever the IHE added before the first baseline run. 132whp is around 160hp not bad at all for a stock B18B1. If you want to look at it this was 117whp on my LS and 161whp on LS Vtec that is a 44whp gain from a head swap and proper tuning.

Last edited:
I could be reading his dyno sheet wrong, but his yellow number is usually a base pull and the green number is the max achieved so far during the dyno testing...
Which would be 117hp before and 132hp after...

Durr he has two dyno sheets posted lmao, failsauce on my part! ;)

Back