My Introduction + F 20 B swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HoundawgBP

Good evening all. Wanted to do a general hello and do an introduction, didnt see a specific member introduction thread so I wasnt sure where to post this. Im an avid accord owner, im on my 3rd one now, a 1997 EX Sedan , Sherwood Green. I got the car recently on a trade from a younger fellow that was more about looking "fresh" than doing basic car upkeep so Im playing catch up on maintenance. Short background, im a 32 yo husband and father thats a "back yard " mechanic that enjoys doing my own projects. Ive done a , 6 M GE into a 1986 Toyota Cressida (rare 5 speed edition) and also a JDM h22 A swap into a 95 Accord DX (that wiring was real fun!)

So now that I have relative experience I wanted to seek advice because the basis of my searching have come up with vague and broad answers. Im doing the F 20 B "blue top" swap into my current car in the coming months. Please dont try to sway my opinion, ive ran the H22 and im not going that route, so im staying with F 20. Most of the basis of my questions is, what is needed in the swap? Im already an EX so VTEC is already wired in. Do I need to add wires for the secondary intake runners like on the H22, or did this engine even come with them? Im currently and automatic right now, but im also doing a double kill and swapping in a manual version of the F 20 at the same time (limited slip FTW ! ) I read the transmission mount needs swapped to the manual version so Ill be doing that as well. Im OBD II so from what I gather, I use my F 22 engine harness on the F 20?

The basis of my findings were "uhhh its the same as the H 22 swap." Well if so, is there any write ups pertaining to this swap? There are dozens of them for the H.

What parts can interswap? I know on the H 22 the clutch components were specific, sometimes shared with the F 22 as well. Ive read most of the components of the F 20 are interswapped with the H 22, does this include clutch components as well?

Thank you everyone. I hope to bring what knowledge I can to help others. Im a MECA certified installer, so Ive got alot of audio experience so hopefull that will help on this forum. I was a moderator on the now deceased AccordinglyDone.com so I try to stay as professional as I can.

Nice to have you aboard. I cant help with this one, but I will be paying attention to learn something.

Welcome to the site.

The f20b is pretty dang close to the h22 in nearly every aspect on the outside. It is actually less powerful though.

If you're considering blue top, why not go all out for the H23a vtec blue top?

the hardest part of the swap will be the auto-to-manual conversion. you'll need all the shifter cables, interior trim pieces, etc etc on top of the mechanics.

Also, if you're looking to build up more than just bolt ons (ie, internals), parts are WAY harder to find for these blue top engines, so keep that in mind if the plan is a larger build.

Thank you all for the reply

Briansol
Oh im weighing all options its just oddly enough the F 20 B , shipped, is $1500 while the H 22 A is over $2400 shipped and the $1500 fits in my budget very well and the added benefit of limited slip and ive heard the F 20 is a more durable engine especially if doing low boost, which right now we probably arent doing.

Me and my best friend, whos also a mechanic, we have also looked into the H 23 A as well. Were mostly looking into DOHC VTEC engines for certain, especially those with higher power cam lobes (namely H 22 and F 20 B.)

If we had decided to go the turbo route I was going to rebuild my F 22 to better suit it for that.

Right, the h22a has that weird sleeve material which makes it not good candidate for anything more than a small bolt on style kit (as you can't really use forged pistons without a re-sleeve) but if you're going to re-sleeve anyway, it's a moot point.

So there's the usdm h23a which is non-vtec (base prelude) but there was also the Euro Accord delivered H23A DOHC VTEC engine. I imagine that's a pricey choice as well.

Getting the f20b in there shouldn't be any more involved than any other h-series mount wise or wiring wise. it would be the internals and misc things like the distributor that i would spend more time researching if they are direct swaps or not for other h-series parts.

Back