My transmission or clutch is acting up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

La_Pieuvre

hey guys,

I have a slight problem that's hard to explain but I'll do my best.

Here goes:

My clutch has been acting really weird lately. It's almost impossible for me to engage any gear especially reverse. My clutch pedal feels really weak under my foot. When I push it all the way in and select 1st or reverse, the car will start moving without me releasing the clutch or pushing the gas.
Then when driving it's almost impossible for me to shift at times. I feel like I'm gonna break the shifter. What works the best is for me to either pump the clutch pedal and/or turning off the engine, struggling to shit to neutral then back to first and then restarting the engine. After driving for a while it's better, but there is still some resistance when shifting.
I was told it might be low on clutch fluid or something. Is there even any clucth fluid?
My car has 87k miles on the factory clutch. I don't rag on it that much. The clutch doesn't slip or anything. Tranny doesn't grind.

Anyone seen this before?
I'm kind of broke right now and I hope it's just something to do with a fuild because a clutch change is costly.

Thanks for any input :)

there is a spring in your tranny that is attached to a fork. than the clutch slide on it. i can almost guarentee the spring isnt set right on the fork in your tranny and or is broken.. .i had the same thing happen to my b18 hatch. kinda sucked when i was racing this kid on the highway not to mention after smoking his gsr hatch i broke down on the highway snapping my clutch cable.. haha

Thanks for the input slammedb18acivic, unfortunately when I got into the car this morning, the clutch pedal was dead. so I had it towed to the shop. :(

You will be replacing your clutch hydraulics while you are there. Get a quote before you let them do it. It is expensive, it only take 4 bolts and 2 flare nuts to replace your clutch slave and master cylinder. If you know how to bleed brakes you can do it yourself.

Originally posted by cws13@Feb 5 2004, 12:43 PM
You will be replacing your clutch hydraulics while you are there. Get a quote before you let them do it. It is expensive, it only take 4 bolts and 2 flare nuts to replace your clutch slave and master cylinder. If you know how to bleed brakes you can do it yourself.

you're right it was the slave and master cylinder. :)

But I had them do it because:
A. I know jack shit about that stuff (I would have figured it out using my helms manual)
B. I needed the car fast to go to an exam and didn't have the time to go looking for parts.

but it was expensive... $400

oh well, as long as it's fixed I'm happy.

Originally posted by La_Pieuvre@Feb 5 2004, 03:16 PM

B. I needed the car fast to go to an exam and didn't have the time to go looking for parts.

but it was expensive... $400

oh well, as long as it's fixed I'm happy.

Exams are shit magnets, WTF? Well, at least your ride is back.

Back