Need help ASAP..tranny probelms

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skunk2ed

Ok, so my buddya has a 94 EX. Bout 2 wks ago he shifted into 3rd and got a nasty grinding noise, so he coasted to a stop, went to start in first, the clutch angaged really hard and then there was nothing. He couldnt put it into any gears at all. Assumed it was the tranny. He bought a used 1.5 tranny, we swapped them out, but now if the car isnt running we can put it into gear, but if it is running it wont go into any gear... if you start it while in a gear it starts, then as soon as you let off the clutch its grinds real bad and engages hard. Possibly a clutch issue not a tranny issue? I looked at the clutch when the tranny was out it looked fine but I never tool it off the flywheel, and I dont understand why we would have clutch dissengagement since it didnt move while in gear when we started it if the clutch was gone... So does anyone have any ideas? Its sitting in my drive, he lives an hour away, and has no other vehicle so we need to get this fixed ASAP!! Any help or suggestions would be great.

Originally posted by B16CRX@Jul 4 2005, 08:45 AM
did you put a 1.5l tranny on a 1.6l motor? was the replacement even hydro?
[post=520362]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah i was hydro.... not that stupid <_< :D Im starting to think its a cracked pressure plate or something...

You mean you went through all the trouble to swap the trans out and didn't inspect the clutch?? :bash:

Time to yank that baby back out. It sounds like clutch issues.

BUT.. before you go and jump the gun and do that again, check the fluid level in the resivoir.. check the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.. make sure they haven't blown a seal. Bleed out the lines. If that doesn't work, then its your clutch.

I think someone sold you a bunk tranny.. I just change the tranny in my nissan this weekend, did the EXACT same tihng as you mentioned.. Went into gear fine when the car was off, but wouldnt go in when its running.

I think you should have replaced the clutch also, its right there and will take 10 mins longer, better to be safe than sorry

Nearly the same thing happened to me. I thought it was the tranny too. It ended up being a cv axel. Whe one granades the tranny wont turn the other. MAYBE??

Originally posted by fatsoteg@Jul 20 2005, 01:49 AM
Nearly the same thing happened to me. I thought it was the tranny too. It ended up being a cv axel. Whe one granades the tranny wont turn the other. MAYBE??
[post=528880]Quoted post[/post]​

I cooked an axle once, too.. It'll still go in all gears and rev up, it just wont go anywhere. You should have seen the crap I pulled out of that boot. It was a shattered cage and bearings, bits of metal.. just a bag of bits..

Back