Need Some Serious Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

okay, here is my dilema: i was torqueing down my cam cover bolts, and two of the bolts broke, with it still threaded into the head. i cant grab them with pliers, and i need my car running by monday. is it safe to just run the car with those two bolts off? they are on different sections of the cam covers, and the rest of the bolts are torqued down to specs. this is a b16a motor that i am talking about here, give me your folks opinions...

You can probably drive it for a while with those bolts broken off- but i bet oil may leak out from it.

1. Have someone weld onto the end of the broken bolt until there is enough where you can weld a nut or something on it, then torque the nut, the bolt should come off.

2. Grind until the broken part of the bolt is flat, then drill a small hole in the center of it. Use a screw extractor to back it out of the hole. It will work, ive done it before.

Good luck!

Originally posted by SolReaver@Jan 11 2003, 11:22 PM

1. Have someone weld onto the end of the broken bolt until there is enough where you can weld a nut or something on it, then torque the nut, the bolt should come off.

that works very good, we've had to do that method on flywheel bolts many a times

Back