Netflix to raise prices/change service plans.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

double0Si

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
VIP
:mad: Got an email from Netflix today...

Dear Richard,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at...
–The Netflix Team

Netflix Introduces New Plans and Announces Price Changes

beginning of the backlash
Thousands threaten to quit Netflix

I think its total BS. If they do go through with the change, they better offer everything they have on their instant que. Because half the shit I really want to see now is only available on hard copy DVDs. Im not saying I cant find anything browsing the instant que on my xbox, but I sure do see "DVD only a lot when I search for something that comes to mind.

Last edited:
good for me. i've had a dvd at my house since november 3rd. i only watch streaming or download stuff.

think about it though. they charge more, greater revenues, more cash to buy rights for newer streaming videos. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the cash to start buying movie studios, or even redbox.

But 60%+ for the same access?

I have yet to order a DVD (mostly cause I just really started using it a lot with my xbox,) but my dad gets them all the time (in addition to using instant que frequently) as most the stuff he wants to see is DVD only and he's on the road all week for work. It gives him something to watch in the hotels. That'd mean he has to only get the DVDs, buy a laptop, or pony up.

I'd be all for it if they would put all their offerings on the net, but I wonder how that would affect the speed. Especially since Im assuming a whole lot more people would be using instant que than they were before.

I dropped from the 3 out to the 2 out and retained my current pricing.

I imagine a lot of folks will do the same.

I dropped it all together. This was just the thing that finally pushed me over the edge. I rarely watch movies by DVD, and the fact that I have to wait a month past the release date to watch a movie is stupid. I can just go to Blockbuster, and rent it for a night for a buck, the day it comes out on DVD.

I have a feeling this was a bad move on Netflix's part, and they'll probably lose quite a bit of their customer base.

I was thinking about signing up for it through my xbox, but maybe not now. I don't really even watch movies that much.

I love netflix streaming for documentary's, and premium series/old tv shows, but man, from a movie standpoint, they lack. Its like the whole middle of Blockbuster at your fingertips. I want what's on the back walls. I may just go to stream only as I've had the same two discs at my house since Feb.

I only get 2 but it's 22.99? now. Blu Ray FTMFW

Still cheaper then an HBO package.

Although I do think they jumped the price a tad bit too much.

The movie industry is wanting to get back to the 20 bucks per view. And with Hulu and the other services comming online they can whip up bidding wars. Much the like the recording industry they shot themselves in the foot charging so much in retail stores.

we will still pay :shrug2:

sure beats the cost of cable TV.

i got Netflix on my Wii and im pretty upset about the price change. i do mostly streaming (i got a dvd ONCE in the mail and havent since i returned it). anyways, im gonna drop the dvd fee i think and just do the streaming. i just wish they would offer more movies on streaming...

Yea, RedBox is pretty decent. If I paid $1 a pop there to watch the movies that I really want I'd probably pay less than even the $7.99 theyre charging/month for just one service. I liked streaming a lot of documentaries as well, but theyre just not worth the cost to keep streaming. As I said before, if the entire catalog is available one way or the other, Id be just fine with it. If not, I'll be dropping them too.

We just do streaming from our LG DVD player using my sister's account...doesn't bother me. Still cheaper than cable like CHris said.

Hopefully enough people drop their DVDs and go with streaming on;y so netflix loses enough money to lower their price to try and pick people back up.

I'd go to streaming only if the content was available via streaming.

Back