New but avid Civic EX driver looking for suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrutalB.... what can I say... she is a woman and a worry wart. Her mother is even worse. I've already told her that if she gets to be like her mother... I ain't staying around and I'm taking my son with me. He don't need to suffer her antics either.

Blanco... it's what I'm pretty much trying to do but both my dad and the woman are creating roadblocks for me.... although I did show the woman how I found a used tranny with only 48k miles on it for $350 from my dad's buddy's salvage yard. Warrantied for 35k miles... sweet deal I must say. I'm constantly listening (despite the fact I'm deaf) and feeling the car searching for signs of trouble. I want to attempt to work out any major issues before I start collecting parts to boost the engine. I did find out reman/rebuilt tranny are usually more than a new tranny... kind of odd in my opinion but that's what I found, so my choices are above mentioned or new tranny and have my pops put it in for me. I've decided against an actual swap because I am seeing the curve between the D and B series boosting and performance costs and I really don't want a loud engine as most people are saying the B-Series are loud (as I'm more pursuing a sleeper build... you know... that quiet little guy walking around with a huge stick). I may go B-Series once I've gotten my hands dirty and have blown the D to hell and back. By that time I'll have my private funds built up and have the know-how.

Jeef... thanks for moving the thread and sorry to have to bother you for it.

Blanco/Jeef... ok 15's is the word from the two of you... I know I ain't touching chrome doves due to weight issues and maintenance cleaning to keep it clear of pits (the less external maintenance I have to worry about the better)... should I even change from factory steels and go with a light weight set of rims or is it not that much of a difference using steels vs lightweights? (to go that route I'd definitely have to locknut them and drop an alarm on the car cuz folks around here are even desperate enough to steel factory steel rims)

If ya'll are interested I'll keep ya'll posted and show some current pictures prior to mods and such. Once again... thank you all for your input and suggestions and ideas and thank you for not roasting/ignoring me because I'm new here.

Last edited:
If you're looking for fairly light weight rims that are cheap, try and find some used Civic HX rims. They are 14 inch I believe.

If I'm reading this right... gears are swapable to a certain point? If so... You've brought exactly the kind of things I'm looking for... precision performance tuning from inside out. The kind that'll work with turbo setup.

Oh man... after further reading did I only get even more lost in the concept... numbers and such don't get along well with me... but I'm seeing a common suggestion to use ZC 3, 4 and 5th? or just ZC 3 and 5th to avoid the grindage on 4th? If the latter is true than I didn't catch wether or not to use the stock 4th or another 4th? Following these line of thoughts... which one of these two would have the ZC gears i'm looking for?

eBay Motors: HONDA CIVIC 88-91 5SPD CABLE ZC / D15B TRANSMISSION (item 280220035474 end time May-01-08 07:45:44 PDT)
or
eBay Motors: JDM Honda Civic 5spd Transmission D16A-ZC Si 92-2000 (item 110246353854 end time May-03-08 11:45:01 PDT)

Ok I think I cleared it up myself... I can see the power curve is less steep thus keeping the power bands really close to each other using the zc or mfactory's spec gears but then I'd be sacrificing my MPG if I'm thinking right... (Fatboy Raceworks Transmission Gear Ratio Calculator - Honda/Acura & More this helped put things in to a little better perspective for me) lower speeds higher rpms = gas consumption. Dare I ask if there's a happy medium? Balancing power with MPG?

Last edited:
Doing some shopping around to get a baseline price for the work I need to do (i.e. transmission, found a few low mileage used ones from trusted local sources for about $300-$400 and soon to be boost setup) and I'd like to check with the mad scientists here to see if a Garret TB0335 (this is the t3 correct?) that I found on an side/rear smashed Dodge Daytona Shelby in a junk yard that looks to be in excellent condition (will have me pops verify it's condition being that he is a chrysler master mechanic and technician) would go nicely with a mostly stock D16Z6 without requiring extensive mods or change of internals. Thanks.

Back