OBD2b ECU and harness compatibility with OBD2a motor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've already searched extensively and haven't gotten a clear answer to my specific question, so here's my situation.

Car is a 2000 Civic Si (OBD2b), the engine is bad and I'm doing a swap rather than rebuild.
I've located a great 99 USDM GSR OBD2a long block. I plan to preserve my Si harness and thus all obd2b sensors. My question is, will the 2b harness hook right up to all the connectors on the engine 2a, or will I have to swap/rewire plugs, etc? Or should I hold out for obd2b, is there any difference at the engine, or is it mainly on the harness/ecu end? I've heard the dizzy plug is different.

I want this as drop in as possible. I plan to jumper and run the obd2a ecu (b/c of immobilizer issue) for daily driving and then limp around and pass inspection on my P2T, fueling will be a little lean but the CR's are close enouhg and it can run the engine safely and well enough to pass inspection. This is why crazy builds, tuning, or JDM swaps are out. It's a compromise between performance and keeping it legal. Thanks,

J

Back