OEM rubber bushings -or- Energy full poly bushing kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bxstylez

Energy full poly bushing kit goes for ~$170 w/ shipping from ebay

so far, i've replaced 5 bushings with oem parts... parts and labor was around 170 as well
i'll need to replace a few other bushings in the rear since it squeaks from the back now.... front upper control arm bushings were replaced recently that removed squeaking from the front

should i just go ahead and get the full poly bushing kit and replace whichever bushings that needs replacing?
i heard i'll feel a difference with poly vs. rubber...... can someone confirm?

so far i'm running cheap kyb's with eibach prokit springs......
soon to replace the kyb's with koni yellows

Poly doesn't give like rubber does. A lot of people complain of squeaking from the polys after awhile; and some of the guys who road race/autoX complain of it wearing out.

I'd just stick with OEM rubber or stiffer rubber like Mugen or Hardrace.

I like the poly. It's never worn out on me. Keep it properly lubed and you'll be fine- they do require more maintenance than stock bushings... meaning that they do actually require maintenance where the OEM bushings require none.

^^Yep, you have to keep them clean and greased or they will squeak.

The problem with grease is, as stated before, they require maintenance. The grease will eventually be squeezed out, get dirty, etc.

I used energy's bushings in my shifter, and the inserts in the engine mounts. I like them. being my civic's body needs more bushings. i plan to get the kit as well.

I'm using those also(just rear torque mount insert and shifter bushings). Thing is, the suspension bushings perform in a complete different way. As mounts and shifter bushings, there's no shearing or parts rotating. With rubber, parts can rotate or move(the rubber will stretch/shear without breaking). With polyurethane, they don't give as well as rubber so the inner metal sleeve will start rotating inside of the polyurethane bushing. This is why pretty much everybody recommends using a rubber or spherical rear trailing arm bushing. With polyurethane, it'll bind and cause erratic handling.

mine squeak like hell. It's annoying. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the kit has every bushing.

BTW I have upper control arm bushings (front). Any info on greasing them would be appreciated. Do they have to be removed to be greased?

Marine grease works great on the poly bushings. Thats what I've always used on mine. You can pick it up at any auto parts place. Energy Suspension even says it can be used as a substitute for their stuff.

Marine grease still gets wiped/pushed out; just doesn't "wear" as fast or wash out as easily.

short life urethane

I did the full kit on a '93 hatch, and have since retro-fitted back to OEM rubber on three or four spots. If you live in a dry climate, be ready to pull everything apart every year and clean/grease it all. Parking outside in a cold and dry winter will reshape that poly into whatever angle the slope dictates under the tires.

I would love to have a stiffer suspension. even though. just upgrading your springs and shock absorbers to make your body and suspension feel and ask stiffer.

Back