Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OEM Filters

• WIX Filters

• Ot

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i burn oil and have 150xxx and im in college........

so i use Castrol High Mileage, does a good job oreventing oil burnoff, now its a quart ever 1000-1200 mi instead of every 500

but i do use fram filters

how much oil burn is normal?? is it normal at all? i burn bout half a quart of oil every 1000 or so miles.

ok on this subject of oil filters. Yes we can use the filters off of the K motors and as a mater of fact all filter manufactures are discontinuning the older larger honda filters. :( So it dosent matter what you buy now. I just found this out when i went to my friends shop and there were 12 cases of purilator pure one filters in the garage and he told my why he stocked up on them. so im looking for some my self beacuse the new one are just too small for my liking.

Originally posted by highperboi@Nov 19 2003, 01:49 PM
how much oil burn is normal?? is it normal at all? i burn bout half a quart of oil every 1000 or so miles.

thats not bad at all
i burn a quart every grand

Your rings must be fried if you're burning a quart every 1k miles. or maybe leaky valve seals. That is way too much oil burning IMO. time for a rebuild.

back from the dead, but i just wanted to say dont use fram oil filters, my dad isa tech for ford, going on 20 years, and he has seen more fucked up engines due to fram filters than anything else. just my .02

just for everyone's info...i have 407,000 miles on my D15b2 with no rebuild. i burn 1 quart every 500 miles but alot of it is from leaks (valve cover gasket, cam seals - which were just replaced).

ive been using quaker state 5w-30 oil with the oem filters. i dont know what filter im gonna use now that they switched.

there was a thread like this a while back and alot of people were saying that synthetic was too thin for vtec. it wouldnt build enough pressure at times. im wondering what happened to this theory.

that could be true. non-synthetic oil has lots of larger, irregular size molecules whereas synthetics all have perfect sized molecules. maybe if you run a heavier weight in synthetic it will work better with vtec.

BTW, i use 5w30 and am experimenting with synthetics and semi-synthetic blends right now. so far i havent felt any performance difference between synthetics and non-sythetics.

I have a 95 integra and I use mobil 1 sync and K&N gold, I am about to do an oil change soon so I'll let you know what I see in the K&N filter to see if its worth the xtra $$$.

This what a major repair & service manual says about oil:

"Synthetic oil is not for every car and every type of driving, so you should consider your engine's condition and your driving situation. Also, check your vehicle's warranty conditions regarding the use of synthetic oils.

Both brand new engines and older, high mileage engines are the wrong candidates for synthetic oil. The synthetic oils are so slippery that they can prevent the proper break-in of new engines; most oil manufacturers recommend that you wait until the engine is properly broken in (3,000 miles) before using synthetic oil. Older engines with wear have a different problem with synthetics. The slippery synthetic oils get past these worn parts easily.

Consider your type of driving. If most of your accumulated mileage is high speed, highway type driving, the more expensive synthetic oils may be a benefit. Extended highway driving gives the engine a chance to warm up, accumulating less acids in the oil and putting less stress on the engine over the long run. Cars with synthetic oils may show increased fuel economy in highway driving, due to less internal friction.

If synthetic oil is used, it should still be replaced at regular intervals as stated in the maintenance schedule. While the oil itself will last much longer than regular oil, pollutants such as soot, water and unburned fuel still accumulate within the oil. These are the damaging elements within a engine and must be drained regularly to prevent damage

Vehicles used under harder circumstances, such as stop-and-go, city type driving, short trips, or extended idling, should be serviced more frequently. For the engines in these cars, the much greater cost of synthetic oils may not be worth the investment. "

My 0.02...

Jason

honda filter, mobil 1, or bosch. they are all good enough to work.

mobil 1 oil. if i had a strung out N/A engine i would use superbike oil because it has additives to help out the valve train.

if i had no O2 sensor i would use oil with lead in it, that will help coat the valve seats giving them a longer life.

what is the purpose of using oil that costs $7/quart, using 4 quarts that will only last 3000 miles? a good synthetic is good enough. if you want to use a traditional oil use valvoline.

Mobil 1 5w-30 with a purilator pure one filter.

The purilator Pure one was the oem honda filter design up until about august this past year when Honda North america wanted save money go with the cheaper filter. So now your getting a super small fram filter with a honda logo on it. And still paying the same price. The purilator pure one cost about 5 bucks and works just the same as a k and n gold filter.

Back