Oil Light...weird...help?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Magik

Ummm this is strange...just happened on my way home from work...

Stopped to get groceries on my way home for supper and when I shut the car off my oil light came on? Weird, so I turned the car back on...the light went off. Shut off the car...oil light came back on.

So I did my business at the store...came out...light still on, turned on car, light goes off...get home, shut off car...light comes on.

So the car is sitting in my driveway right now with the oil light on...and the car turned off!!!>>>wtf???

Will this kill my battery if it sits like this overnight? What is up with this??

Help! SOS! Mayday!

Jason

PS...yes I checked the oil...it's fine

OK guys...ha ha...now anyone got a useful suggestion of what I should do?? This is freaking me out!

Jason

Try checking where the oil pressure sender is. Its located at the back of the block just above the oil filter. The connector for it is just one push on wire. If it has come off then the light will be one all the time... i think.

When i put in my oil pressure gauge, i used teflon tape to seal the treads at the tee fitting ( i used the tee in between the oil sender and the oil line for the gauge ) and the oil light was on all the time..... or off, i cant remember but i think it was on.

Do any of your other electrical components stay on when the car is off? It sounds like the oil light circuit is staying powered after the car is turned off. Obviously there is no oil pressure with the car off, right. When the key is off its supposed to shut off that circuit, among many others.

Let us know how it turns out

Sean

Could be a problem with the ignition switch. Or somebody could have messed with the wiring, and wired the oil pressure sensor to an always-on circuit, like the clock memory lead, or cd player 12v memory lead. Have you had any work done to the motor, or any of the stuff I just talked about?

yes, find out what your oil pressure is hopefully it is not the oil pump on its way out.

SOLVED!!!!

This is gonna blow you away...when I had my engine changed I had a CAI installed too...the genious that installed it (which I havn't been back to since) put a metal clamp on it to hold it in place...what I didn't look closely enough at is he put it around the engine wire harness under the hood.

The metal clamp over time cause the wire harness housing to 'chaffe' and wear down exposing the wires underneath...then...the actual wires for the brake light and the oil light became exposed when their housings wore off.

Also, the clamp had worked its a bit loose and the "tube" of the CAI was resting on the positive terminal of the battery.

Thus....when I shut off the car the CAI and the clamp were pulling direct 12V current into the wires and lighting the lights on the guage cluster and killing the battery.

Removed the clamp...fixed the wires...re-positioned the CAI....and...

NO MORE LIGHTS ON THE DASH!!! Wooo Hooo!!

Jason

Back