Oil on the spark plugs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erikespo

I just pulled my plugs in my CRX. plugs in cylinder 1 and 4 bothere had oil all over them.. and it wasn't burned oil it was fresh like someone dipped them in used oil. I don't think rings would do that would it? What is leaking? Valve seals? Would that cause my power loss? Just looking for input.

Thanks

EDIT: Oh and The last the car was drive before that was about 2 hours prior to changing them.

Also I just replaces the PVC valve.

where was this oil? on the diode or the part the wire goes onto? Please be a little more specific. If it is on the part where the wire connects, your valve cover seals may be bad or just not sealing. otherwise you could have bad rings, or anything. but oil usually burns off in teh cylinder.

Yeah that is what I mean. The car had been sitting for like 2 hours and I pulled the plugs and it was mostly on the threads and down. It wasn't on anything higher than that. there wasn't any on the top part of the plug.

I had the same prob with my rex. Havent finished rebuilding it yet, but it could be the lower seal that runs along the spark plug tube that is inbetween the camshaft assembly and the head, the piston rings, head gasket, or valve stem seals. I know thats not comforting to hear, but you can test the gasket with a compression test and the seals with a leak down test, i believe.

Originally posted by Periculum@Aug 16 2005, 12:54 AM
I had the same prob with my rex. Havent finished rebuilding it yet, but it could be the lower seal that runs along the spark plug tube that is inbetween the camshaft assembly and the head, the piston rings, head gasket, or valve stem seals. I know thats not comforting to hear, but you can test the gasket with a compression test and the seals with a leak down test, i believe.
[post=540625]Quoted post[/post]​

Mine had the exact same thing. Plan on redoing your whole valve cover set of gaskets and seals. A "deluxe" valve cover gasket set should include "spark plug seals". This is a very common problem in old hondas so don't panic. Just replace those first, and go from there.

yeah my vote is for valve cover gasket on spark plug holes.

Originally posted by confusatron+Aug 15 2005, 11:02 PM-->
Periculum
@Aug 16 2005, 12:54 AM
I had the same prob with my rex.  Havent finished rebuilding it yet, but it could be the lower seal that runs along the spark plug tube that is inbetween the camshaft assembly and the head, the piston rings, head gasket, or valve stem seals.  I know thats not comforting to hear, but you can test the gasket with a compression test and the seals with a leak down test, i believe.
[post=540625]Quoted post[/post]​

Mine had the exact same thing. Plan on redoing your whole valve cover set of gaskets and seals. A "deluxe" valve cover gasket set should include "spark plug seals". This is a very common problem in old hondas so don't panic. Just replace those first, and go from there.
[post=540626]Quoted post[/post]​

Yep, the gasket kit isn't very expensive. Also, invest in some Hondabond to seal the "hump" where the head runs over top of the cam(s), where Hondas are also notorious for leaking.

Back