OMG one more problem Speedometer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well the swap is done but not the FUN.....
My speedometer doesn't work It just stays at 0... <_<

I checked that the speed sensor is hooked up ...and it is.... the ground is good and the yellow and black wire that goes to the driver side shock tower plug is good....

that leaves the blue/white wire that goes to the ecu.... it is hooked up...

I am geting NO CEL's

coolent... gas... and possibly other stuff has dripped onto the sensor could it be bad? .... but then I should get a code 17 or something .....right?

Any ideas?????

vss... the sensor or the wire?

BTW my odometer and trip meter also do not work....:shrug2:

the fuel and temp guages are fine as is my aftermarket tach..

Is there a reset switch or button or some kind of fuse to look for?

the entire sensor,,,,,,,,costs pretty cheap like 40 bucks or so, you need the right one

you can use a usdm ITR one.. i had the same issue.. new VSS.. pull the old one out.. you might be able to use jsut the top electrical part and keep the bottom mechanical part thats in the trans.. the top is much cheaper

what swap did you do? did you do a tranny swap with a different diff? maybe its missing the speedo gear on the diff. my friends car and my car both dont have the damn speedo gear on the diff so it has nothing to read.

I got it to work.... well sort of..
I didn't have it hooked up right inside of the car...
so I spliced it into the correct wire....

I tried it out and it worked for about 2 miles...
Then the speedo went back to zero...
Then the radio went off...
then the radar detector went off
then my battery went dead and my car died on the highway.... ONe jumpstart and now Im back at home sittin' on a charger....

I am not sure if it is from the splice job on the speedo.... or if the alternator doesn't charge my battery up and it was just a coincidence that the battery ran out just after I got my speedometer to work...Any Ideas ... ???

Also does anybody know where and how the green wire coming from the engine coolant temp switch on top of the thermostat.... hooks to the radiator fan relay???

i tell you what bro, your gonna be a pro at this next time.. you're learning all what not to do

Originally posted by mdlax1@Jul 22 2004, 08:45 AM
i tell you what bro, your gonna be a pro at this next time.. you're learning all what not to do
[post=366797]Quoted post[/post]​

Definatly...:peace:
I could rip a motor out and have the new one going in less than a day after all of this trama....

Im pretty sure the VSS is fine its probably my alternator.... I will get it checked for free at autozone tommarow .... If it is bad I will just use the one from my CX...

IF it is good then Im gonna have to tear all the wires apart again and find what is draining the battery SO much that the alternator can't keep up....:squint:

I will say this, when my alternator took a shit the gauge cluster acted very funny, the needles were jumping around and shit..

also look to see if the motor is properly grounded, and also check to see if the terminal to the alternator hasn't be severed..

what year and kind of car did u do the swap and what engine, if ur car is a 5th gen civic the guage cluster is wired rigth to the VSS where as the newer cars and engines the ecu gets a signal from the VSS and then sends to ur cluster. I had same prob, I put ina b16a2 ina 94 HB speedo didn't work until I wired it vss straighht to the cluster.

I got this problem fixed and all is well
I had the black and yellow wire from my alternator not going in to the driver side plug... caused it to not charge the battery

Back