OMG THIS SUCKS!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

first off I know this is the wrong forum but I can't post a new topic in the general tech so....ok I was driving along and I was going to shift into 4th gear...and I hear a chain pop off and make a clank noice...I can move my shifter freely!!! MY SHIFT LINKAGE CAME OUT I THINK! this sucks! I was able to move my shifter sideways while in gear for some time now and I just thought it was shifter stablizer gone bad...nope my shift linkage broke...I need some help now...I need to know where I can get one and rougly how much they cost becuase im on a VERY tight budget!!! help me!!! I have a D16Y7 in a 1992 civic 4dr LX thanks in advance!
 
The first issue I'd pursue would be why did you have a chain holding your linkage on?


Do you have an aftermarket short shifter? The first thing that I would assume happened would be that the bolt that holds the gear selector bar onto the bottom of the shifter came off. I highly, highly doubt that you snapped your linkage.

Have you gotten under the car and looked at it?
 
Originally posted by civicious@Jul 20 2005, 09:04 PM
The first issue I'd pursue would be why did you have a chain holding your linkage on?


Do you have an aftermarket short shifter? The first thing that I would assume happened would be that the bolt that holds the gear selector bar onto the bottom of the shifter came off. I highly, highly doubt that you snapped your linkage.

Have you gotten under the car and looked at it?
[post=529234]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't have a jack that can fit under my car...its at the shop I do all my work on my car...and yes I have aftermarket I think!! the guy that sold me the car said I did...but it looks stock..umm I was in there loosening the bolts trying to take it apart today but I coulda swore I tightened them back up..they weren't coming out so I said screw it becuase I was trying to install my shifter stabilizer...I thought I heard a chain come off my car though...
 
Yeah. Pretty sure that bolt just fell out, dude. There's no chain on your shift linkage.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet money that the bolt just fell out.
 
Originally posted by civicious@Jul 20 2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah. Pretty sure that bolt just fell out, dude. There's no chain on your shift linkage.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet money that the bolt just fell out.
[post=529243]Quoted post[/post]​

ya but all there is...is 2 bolts on the shifter like below it...and I tried to loosen them but they weren't loosening and then they wouldn't tighten...so I mean I can't get my hand down there becuase the frame has a little circle around the shifter...I can see if those bolts tighten but that won't fix it will it?
 
It's on the underside of the car, bro. You won't be able to get to it from inside the car.

Get a jack and some jackstands, put the car up on jackstands, and get under there.
 
shifterthing4xh.jpg


the red is the bolt that more than likely fell out.
 
happened to me too. it was my fault. I just wanted to drive it, so I just loosely tighten one of the bolts on the mount/bushing thing. It fell off after 3rd gear.
 
Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 21 2005, 12:49 PM
look under your car and see if either of the rods are hanging down, and if so, from where
[post=529503]Quoted post[/post]​


yea, there go. that's the easiest route, no?
 

reikoshea

Moderator
VIP
Originally posted by civicious@Jul 20 2005, 08:33 PM
shifterthing4xh.jpg


the red is the bolt that more than likely fell out.
[post=529247]Quoted post[/post]​


This diserves a pic of the year nomination. Yeah, im with everyone else in saying your bolt probably fell out. i think youll be okay.
 
Your bitch pin FELL out??? WTF?!?!?! You could hang 30 tons of raw steel from one of those bitches and it wouldn't budge!

ANYWAY...

there are no chains.

buy a 2"x6"x8' (yeah, a chunko wood) Cut it into two foot sections. You should have 4 pieces of wood. Put two pieces, stacked, in front of each tire. Pull up on the wood. Now your shitty jack will fit under your car.
 
Originally posted by phyregod@Jul 23 2005, 09:57 AM
Your bitch pin FELL out??? WTF?!?!?! You could hang 30 tons of raw steel from one of those bitches and it wouldn't budge!



Lmao, I was thinking the same thing the last time I read that. I hate that little spring pin, POS never would come out on my rig. I have pulled the b18 twice, and that is the worst part of doing the job IMO. Added 20 minutes to my total of 2 hours that I spent completely removing the engine and tearing down the block, and pulling the crank.
 
ya it was that bolt I got it lol sorry for the late update...and I just borrowed my friends racing jack...fit right under my car hehe! thanks for all the input guys
 
Top