operation mesh wheel refurb

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

just finished another.. but, i'm not feeling how any of the lips came out.. i want them polished more.. too many little scratches from sand paper that the camera doesnt pick up.. i'll probably go over all of them again starting at 600 grit and see if i can get those little scratches out..

i'm mainly talking about the inner lip.. the outer lips are blingin.. its a lot harder to do the inside of the lip

too many little scratches from sand paper that the camera doesnt pick up.. i'll probably go over all of them again starting at 600 grit
Seriously, start with 1500, go to 2000, then to rubbing compound until they are all gone.

well, i believe the scratches are from grittier sand paper, so thats why i'm gonna redo them starting with 600.. but i think i'll go ahead and get some 2000 grit.. i have some compound and my dremel.. .. hmmm.. might be super blingin soon.. :thumbsup: thanks for the tip, rep to you

ok this might be dumb..but ive never really understood how to "polish"

do you just sand from 150-2000???and it gets shiney or how does it work.
sorry i did read it but still dont understand the concept.

yep.. basically.. the finer the grit the shinier it gets..

But, the real uber secret is Mother's Mag polish. Get it to 1500 or 2000 grit, and then hit it with mother's. I swear it will look like a mirror. You can find it at auto-zone or other parts stores, very common, not at all hard to get. Small jar, maybe 2 inches tall. I swear by this stuff.

05100-05101_193px.jpg

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Mag & Aluminum Polish[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]This is our legendary metal polish. Mothers®’ secret formula balances a brilliant shine with easy use for aluminum wheels and parts, brass, alloys and accessories. Application is just a matter of a clean cloth and a little elbow grease. Mothers® Mag & Aluminum polish is strong enough to put a shine to the most neglected metals and gentle enough to use on a regular basis.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]#05100, 5 oz. #05101, 10 oz. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Damn Clint, I'm glad I ran into this write-up. It gives me an idea of what to do with my Ro...err, rims. :D When my car got stolen they got curb checked quite a bit. This is definitely an inspiration. Thanks for the write-up. :thumbsup: I'd rep you, but I have to spread it around more...kind of like herpes. :D

i'm not gonna clear them.. only the mesh.. i'd rather leave it bare aluminum because it gives it more of a bling.. .. i'll most likely sell them after i'm done... i've decided i'm not gonna do anything to the Yota

i'm not gonna clear them.. only the mesh.. i'd rather leave it bare aluminum because it gives it more of a bling.. .. i'll most likely sell them after i'm done... i've decided i'm not gonna do anything to the Yota

So your going to put all that work into them then let someone else enjoy them?:thumbsdown:

You still have the bronze wheels?

At the time spent on each wheel, have you ever thought of just taking them into a wheel shop? last time I checked it was 80 to redo the lips of a wheel, I'd spray the whole wheel lip and all, then have them do the lips only leaving the paint in the middle, and then have them put a clear over the whole wheel.

4 hours a wheel x 4 = 16 hours of your time or paying someone $320.00

Either way they look good.

Very nice. I might have to tackle some curbed up wheels like that myself- they're cheaper to buy. :)

$80 is pretty expensive. I paid $100 a wheel to have them completely rebuilt.

Virtual Tour of our Wheel Repair Process: The Art of Perfection

That's a hell of a lot more than just sanding the lip to a shine.

Strip wheel
Clean wheel
Weld on new aluminum
Machine wheel back to OEM
Repaint
Reclear

It was well worth the $$$

The wheels look great!!:thumbsup:
will this also work on gsr blades??
they got some nasty curb checks on em too and dont wanna pay $100 a wheel to get it fixed..:eek:

Back