P28 Ecu/auto To 5spd Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Spyderturbo

Hey guys. I have a D16Z6 that I am getting on Friday to swap into my 94 CX hatch. I was out at the yard today and I picked up an automatic P28 ECU for a to good to pass up price of $40 :D who does conversions to 5spd, I was planning on chipping it anyway. I figured worst case scenario I will have to sell it if it can't be made 5spd....

Any input or advice appreciated, I tried a few keyword searches but nothing came up for me....

-Matt

Originally posted by Spyderturbo@Feb 1 2003, 04:32 PM
Located in PA, so it is possible to change it. Excellent :lol:

yeah it is... you can send him the ECU, with instructions of what you want programmed on it [fuel curve, Vtec Engagement, Redline etc etc].... i had an auto PR3 before and i had mine changed over there.... check out his website in my signature

Thanks man, I will definately be checking him out. I also posted some wiring questions about my swap, this is my first Honda swap so I'm still feeling around for the wrench under the car :lol: As far as fuel curve and specs I have no idea, I just want a lower vtec engagement point and a little higher redline, nothing crazy, he will know what to do if I give hime those numbers and my intentions with the motor??

Thanks, Matt

if you just need to convert it from auto to 5 spd and dont care about re-chipping it then you can do it yourself rather easily. it involves removing 1 resistor

I'm not overly concerned with re-chipping it, the main thing is to get it to run 5spd. This sounds good to me so how simple is this, and where can I get the info on what one to remove?

Thanks, Matt

Originally posted by Spyderturbo@Feb 1 2003, 04:43 PM
I'm not overly concerned with re-chipping it, the main thing is to get it to run 5spd. This sounds good to me so how simple is this, and where can I get the info on what one to remove?

Thanks, Matt

Matt -

It's more than just 1 resistor, but the one they are talking about is just below the 28 pin eprom location.

RP17 and RP18.

Take both out, and put in a 0 ohm in RP18.

You also should remove the Transistors at IC15 and 16 along with the corrosponding resistors, and such.

If you want, I can do the whole conversion for $20 + return shipping to you.

If you want a good all motor chip with redline set at 7500 (not the 8000+ you see on egay) let me know. I can do this as well.

AND, (sorry if I'm rambling) if you DO want to do the Auto/manual convert & chip the ecu. I can send you a already done unit + core charge, when you send me back your auto P28, I'll refund the core charge.

If you want to know more, or you are interested, PM me or hit me up on e-mail.

Late.

Originally posted by Spyderturbo@Feb 1 2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks man, I will definately be checking him out. I also posted some wiring questions about my swap, this is my first Honda swap so I'm still feeling around for the wrench under the car :lol: As far as fuel curve and specs I have no idea, I just want a lower vtec engagement point and a little higher redline, nothing crazy, he will know what to do if I give hime those numbers and my intentions with the motor??

Thanks, Matt

im a lil late here but yeah he will know what to do... but generally people will move VTEC engagement to about 5500, and Redline to about 8500-8600...

yeah AllMotorMonster, it may be available on "EGAY" but it works just fine for me [not that i bought my ECU on EBAY], but there is nothing wrong with 8000+ redline on a honda, especially and All Motor one

Matt: all you gotta do is let Erick know what modifications you have and are planning on doing in the future of your car and he will come up with a good set up

2 Liter -

I agree there is nothing wrong with a 8+ redline, if we are talking about a GSR or B16A.

BUT, if you are speaking of an LS, CRV or SOHC VTEC (In stock trim), then yes, there is something wrong.

RPM does NOT = HP on stock engines.

For a GSR or B16A (99-00 Si) I'd go with 8800 MAX redline.

If you have a SIR 1 (88-91 B16A), make sure you have at the minimum the manual version of the B16A head, because if your engine was an automatic, the springs are WEAK, and cannot withstand any more than 7800 RPM.

For any SOHC VTEC engine with stock valvetrain, I'd go MAX 7800 RPM.

Whatever you do, just make sure you protect your engine.

kenji chips ecu's.

email him at kenji211@tampabay.rr.com

"I have a few chipped P28 ECUs in stock.

Many programs to choose from.

Custom VTEC and rev limiters on most programs."

he emailed me with this...and i'm using one of his chipped p28's. if i have good luck with someone i'll continue to refer them.

Back