PC trouble shooting

• Thread starter Thread starter Briansol
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 89

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
I'm having some problems with my laptop

So a few days ago I installed a huge music app that came with a ton of samples and filled my hard drive. No big deal I realized it was full and just removed it and ever since then my laptop has crawled. Real bad. I'm talking like 30 seconds just to open the calculator.

I ran every virus scanner and everything else under the Sun and it found nothing I even went as far as to reinstall Windows still a slow turtle.

Every mem check and check this tool all came back working good nothing is Spiked to 100%.

Even the bios is slow. Like, it takes way longer to get off the Dell splash screen into windows.

Any ideas? is it a hard drive feeling? It's only a few years old and ran mint until I spiked the hard drive so I'm wondering if the SSD had some issues by literally running out of sectors when I filled it up. And if so how the heck do I replace the hard drive these days when they don't ship your windows on anything?

This has been running since 9am. It's nearly 3pm. Lol. Usually takes 10 min.

Attachments

• 17259079750452630863343810746358.webp
    17259079750452630863343810746358.webp
    123.3 KB · Views: 15
how much free space on the SSD? safe to assume it is pretty empty considering you did a reinstall... or was it a reset and save all your stuff?

Right now it's literally empty over 100 gigs free I have nothing on it fresh install not even Chrome.

What super interesting is since the reinstall I have no audio in the touchpad is all wacky it's like my drivers are gone

I'm on it right now. it 'works', it's just like a 1994 x386 speed trying to do anything. Nothing unknown.

1725930230443.webp

1725930299943.webp

I'll try the download next.

This is a great example -- extracting that zip is taking 5 min.

This should be a 2 or 3 second extraction.

1725930578334.webp

seems ok, other than running a little hot- i guess it makes sense that it's hot, all kinds of stuff trying to DL on it now (Drivers, win updates, etc)

1725931623424.webp

thanks for the SSD info. i am surprised to see health at 90% usually it will degrade if it is full for months, not days as it needs the extra space to trim out.

as for the temp, how old is the machine, what is the make/model/serial? the ssd should not be getting really hot under regular use but i would expect it during gaming. i asked about the age because if it is even a low end gaming laptop with some days behind it, it should be repasted and the thermal pads replaced or added (around the chipsets/ssd) .this is a common thing in our RTX and Quadro powered laptops around the 3 year mark.

I don't game. it's an inspiron 5510 from like 2021. it's low end. i think i spent <$400 on it.

I'm running an app i found on dell's website, Dell Support Assist. It found a bios update. downloading and trying to install that now (and of course, taking forever). It also said all my hardware is good after scanning my system for 2 hours.

I don't think it's the hard drive anymore.

I DL'ed 300+ mb file in just a few seconds just now and that would not write that fast if the drive was failing. the PROCESSING of things is taking time. let's hope the bios flash fixes something.

bios flash fixed it! so strange. flash took a LONG time, scary long. thought i was going to brick the machine.

then it just screamed from 28% to 100% and booted like nothing ever was wrong.

so strange that a bios failure likely occurred and a re-flash was needed.

bios flashes can fix all sorts of stuff... like i7/9 13/14gen chips overvolting :)

glad the bios flash fixed it. you probably dont need a repaste. i would have recommended support assist for sure; we run it on everything at my 2nd job. dell bios comes out fast and furious on XPS/latitude models.

Back