Powdercoating Valve Covers and other parts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Type R red also on a gsr valve cover, how much shipped to 78249 and how long will it take?

Originally posted by CoreyR@May 24 2005, 04:24 PM
good prices dude, i got a powdercoating setup myself in my garage which i havent used in a few months cause its a hassle. $25 is outrageously low for the amount of work and time into doing it so im sure you will get a lot of business.

that single cam cover looked like it came out nice. ive got chrome and candy top coats but i never got the chance to use them so i never knew what it looked like.
[post=503025]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, I know, but I'm really not charging for labor. I'm just trying to cover costs. When things pickup, I'm sure prices will fluctuate. But I will still never charge what outrageous prices other coaters charge.

Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg+May 24 2005, 04:29 PM-->
so umm... how do i contact you or know where to ship it to?  let me know asap i'm very interested in getting my valve cover powder coated you can contact me at farmboi706@yahoo.com

thanx

kit
[post=503026]Quoted post[/post]​

Sent you an email.

dem134
@May 24 2005, 06:20 PM
I want Type R red also on a gsr valve cover, how much shipped to 78249 and how long will it take?
[post=503057]Quoted post[/post]​

It will be $40 to have the GSR cover coated, and shipped back to you. The day I receive it, I will continuously work on it. I suspect to work on the cover for 3 - 5 days and have the cover sent out to you on the 5th day. That is being generous too. Depending on what condition the valve cover is in, will really determine how long it will take. Coating and curing the powder is a matter of 35 minutes together, it's the degreasing, degassing, and media blasting which takes the longest.

Thanks everyone for the questions

Originally posted by PhyRe@May 24 2005, 06:50 PM
do you have high temp paint for header/turbo mani?(black)
[post=503064]Quoted post[/post]​

Unfortunately, the hi-temp powders that are available now cannot withstand the heat from exhaust manifolds. Exhaust manifolds exceed the powder's temperature by a couple hundred degrees. Sorry

Thanks for the question

can you match Honda paint codes at all?

I'm not a fan of the Type R red but would be interested in something that was close to the Harvard blue pearl that is on my civic

let me know and I'll see how things pan out money wise.... I wish I would have known about this sooner because my car has been layed up in my garage for the last two months and I could have sent you my cover and had it back by now

thanks

Originally posted by seanjuan@May 24 2005, 07:45 PM
can you match Honda paint codes at all?

I'm not a fan of the Type R red but would be interested in something that was close to the Harvard blue pearl that is on my civic

let me know and I'll see how things pan out money wise.... I wish I would have known about this sooner because my car has been layed up in my garage for the last two months and I could have sent you my cover and had it back by now

thanks
[post=503079]Quoted post[/post]​

Powder coating uses finely ground particles that when heated to a high temp will melt and fuse onto the part. Unlike paint, you cannot change the powder coating formulation in any way. The powder cannot be lightened or darkened by adding another powder. It is possible to have custom colors made, but I don't have the resources and from what I've heard, it is very expensive and may take several weeks to produce.

Thanks

Just a heads up, because I have very few powders in stock, I would have to order each color when someone requests it. Depending on the color chosen, I may have to charge an additional fee, between $5 - $10. Powders come in all sorts of prices. The lowest price I've ever seen is $11.99 for a solid color. For $11.99, I only get 8 OZ of powder which will only last a short period of time. And the highest price I've seen is $1,250 for 50lbs. of powder. So you can see how expensive powder can become. It does become cheaper when you order in larger quantities, and that is what I plan on doing. However, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that an additional fee may be added to the final price before anyone decides on having their cover coated. For what I am charging to powdercoat valve covers, I don't think this extra fee will matter much. I've seen coaters charge $15 to order new colors, no matter what color it is.

Thanks again everyone for your questions via this thread and private messages.

Bryan

for headers and manifolds the only solution is ceramic coating the most widley avalible colours are black satin, chrome, aluminum, Cast iron
temps are lower buy up to 200f costs are usally hight do to the prep time, they must be media blasted, degreased, spray, air dry the fully bake for 1hr, then if a polished finish is desired it must be polished.
and the fact that it is a liquid means resperators and filterd air so cost are high for a reason

Bump for another buddy. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is a good deal guys, and he has my support! I'll be sending valve covers his way pretty soon too. Bryan, check your PM on CL- I've got a phone number and a possible business proposition for you.

whats up. do you sandblast the covers before you powdercoat them? i had mine sandblasted and got bored one day and spraypainted it clear like a dumbass. it turned out looking like a yellowish. so, i think it might need to be blasted or something. also, you gloss them and keep the raised letters silver, right?

Originally posted by Calesta@May 25 2005, 02:09 AM

This is a good deal guys, and he has my support! I'll be sending valve covers his way pretty soon too. Bryan, check your PM on CL- I've got a phone number and a possible business proposition for you.
[post=503264]Quoted post[/post]​

Will do Mike, thanks for the support!

Originally posted by wickedplastikman@May 25 2005, 02:54 AM
whats up. do you sandblast the covers before you powdercoat them? i had mine sandblasted and got bored one day and spraypainted it clear like a dumbass. it turned out looking like a yellowish. so, i think it might need to be blasted or something. also, you gloss them and keep the raised letters silver, right?
[post=503295]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes I do sandblast them. I actually use two different abrasives if the cover is stubborn. I usually use aluminum oxide, and glass bead to make sure the cover is clean as a whistle before coating it.

The $25 is for all the prep work and coating the entire cover with one color. When you start asking about an additional gloss coating and even masking of letters, the price would no longer be $25. I'm glad you asked this so I can get it out to anyone who may be thinking the same thing.

Base price for one solid color would be $25.
A second coat with a gloss finish would be an additional $5
Masking letters and any other area of the valve cover, another $5*
This would bring the total up to $35 plus any additional cost if powder needs to be ordered as mentioned above in another post.

*If the letters are masked, they will only be the color of the sandblasted cover. Meaning that if you wanted the letters another color from what you had selected to be the color of choice on your valve cover, the base price would then be $35 because of two solid colors and the two coat process as mentioned in my first post.

So now, if you want the letters a high glossy silver/chrome color, the base price would be $35. Applying a third coat of a gloss finish and masking the letters would both be $5 each, bringing up the total to $45 to have the solid color of your choice on the valve cover, masked letters which will have a silver/chrome finish, and a top coat of gloss.

Thank you for your question, Bryan

Thanks for all the emails and PMs. Let me know if I can powdercoat anything more for you guys, excluding wheels at this time.

im very interested... ive got a d16y7 VC i would like powder coated type R red. how much would i be looking at for the 2 layer coating shipped to 06516(CT)?

Originally posted by thetruth@May 25 2005, 08:11 PM
im very interested... ive got a d16y7 VC i would like powder coated type R red. how much would i be looking at for the 2 layer coating shipped to 06516(CT)?
[post=503576]Quoted post[/post]​

Sent you a PM, Thank you

Originally posted by mntdewred+May 25 2005, 07:42 AM-->
@May 25 2005, 02:09 AM

[post=503264]Quoted post[/post]​

Will do Mike, thanks for the support!
[post=503338]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

Another bump for you.

Originally posted by mntdewred+May 24 2005, 12:28 AM-->
TWISTEDIMAGE
@May 23 2005, 10:42 PM
pics of the gsr valve cover want type r red i have a perfect b16 valve cover black i could return just want perfect valve cover in return not cut.
[post=502763]Quoted post[/post]​

The GSR cover I have now isn't powdercoated at all. It is a blank I would use if someone wanted a GSR valve cover without any downtime. The cover is also not cut.

I don't have a wrinkle red powder in stock, but would be no problem getting some.

Thanks
[post=502799]Quoted post[/post]​

does this cover come from a factory car or is it after market also if you need spares to keep people going let me know i have a sohc vtec cover and a b20z cover as well and both are un cut would be willing to help out

The three covers I do have came straight off the factory cars. It's almost impossible to acquire every potential valve cover that people may want powdercoated, so I'm just going to stay with what I have currently. Thanks for the offer though.

Bryan

A bump for the afternoon crowd.

Thanks for all the questions thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back