Power Steering

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mical0259

I just removed my power steering unit, the pump, reservoir, and belt. Should i have left the reservoir with fluid in it or was it ok that its removed. i connected the hoses together so it is still a closed system and no air aor moisture can get in but there isnt any fluid in the system. is this bad and what should i do. wikll it affect the reliability of my steering rack? thanks

you want to keep a little fluid in there to keep shit lubed
but just looping it is ok

or you can go all out and do a loop with a breather valve
the second way is pretty involved and im not gunna bother typing it all out right now
if you do actually want to do it this way let me know and ill see what i can do about writing something up

Just make sure it's a closed system with fluid in it and you'll probably be ok. I would swap it out with a manual rack though.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 1 2003, 10:14 AM
Just make sure it's a closed system with fluid in it and you'll probably be ok. I would swap it out with a manual rack though.

na, i'd keep the power rack, better turning ratio's, just will be a little tougher to turn than the manual rack. but like they said, keep fluid in the system and keep it in a closed loop and you'll be fine. i know of a few people that do it this way, no problems so far.

Back