Pro Draggers make RWD Civics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by odnet@Feb 21 2004, 02:09 PM
lol therefore I now claim a nice lil 2.5RS w/ 2.0Litre swap is in order. Everyone just proved here that originality in Hondas is now dead.

So where's a good place to get USDM Subaru motors? I don't want to touch the japanese "Rip-off"/"Mock Off"/"Shined and Shitty" motors.

<_<

im pretty sure the crv awd doesnt send anymore than like 25-20% to the rear wheels. the civic awd did less im pretty sure.

welcome to the world of cars bro- there are WAY too many people and WAY too many cars in the world for there to be any indivduality left, especially in hondas- but you think that no one tunes subaru's?

Originally posted by EGLSHB@Feb 20 2004, 05:03 PM
EF hatch, with a the whole drivetrain assy moved to the rear

:withstupid: .
i think the easiest/most efficient would be to pull the engine/tranny/axles and set it in the back of the car. might have to move a couple things, and build some kinda enclosure/firewall to protect yourself and dampen the noise, but it dosen't seem like it would be too rediculously hard to do. but only god knows how it'll handle after that. BTW tinker on h-t is doin' it to a sol.

EDIT: here's a link to the h-t thread...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=741821

Originally posted by senate_9427+Feb 20 2004, 06:28 PM-->
@Feb 20 2004, 05:15 PM
Honda Tunning made a AWD ITR. B18C5 motor, CRV tranny, custom drivetrain made from CRV and regular B series parts. They haven't had any problems with it yet.

Bullshit, in the last issue, the damn diff went out. they will say exactly what happened next issue

They didnt say the diff went out, they said that they heard a noise that sounded bad. Having said that, it probobly was the diff that went out. The reason i say this is because the CRV rear end has always been known to suck when it engages. Real Time AWD, means that the car if FWD until the front wheels start spinning faster then the rear. Then it becomes AWD. The proplem with the system is that it suffers from "AWD lag" as i call it. The fronts spin, the car thinks about engaging the rear, then it does. It will stay AWD for a bit, then it will disengage, then re-engage, until there is not more need for the rears to turn under power.

Why does this happen? As arrogant as this may sound, i have discovered the weakness of Real Time AWD. The CRV rear end works on the principal or differential pressure by means of two gearotor pumps that use oil to engage the rear wheels. One pump is connected to the drive shaft ( always turning ) and the other to the rear wheels. Since the gearotor pump is a constant displacement unit, each pump will move the same amount of fluid it rotating at the same speed. The front wheel pump, moves oil into a hydrolic cylinder, while the other pump takes it out of the cylinder. When the fronts loose traction and spin faster then the rears, the front wheel pump moves more fluid into the cylinder causing the pressure to rise. The hydrolic cylinder then pushes on a set of clutch disks that put power to the rear wheels.

s40380bae61ac4.jpg

How do we solve this problem? My plan is to remove the pump from the rear wheels and install, somehow, a solenoid valve in its place. Flip a switch, valve closes, pressure builds and bam! AWD :D . Then the next weakest part breaks :( and i find a way to make it better.

sorry bout the length
hope this helps

Sean

good post bud, very informative, i'll give you that- and yeah you're prolly right about your fix for the lag in the system, if i'm not mistaken, someone else had alreayd figured out to do that a while ago, i just can't figure out where i saw it- good luck trying it bro, but like you said, i think the next weakest part will go as soon as you end the engagement property- look at those skimpy CV joints and besides that IMO i don't think the rear end is made to handle a lot of torque, especially if you constantly have the AWD engageed, but that's just my 2 cents

I agree that the CRV rear end probly isnt built to handle alot of power, but thats also what i thaught when i first saw the tiny metal pins that connected the transmission of my car to the wheels. Then of course i have snapped a few of them also. I think that when im finished with my project, the rear end wont exactly be launching the front wheels of the ground, but probly just assisting the car get up to speed until the traction of FWD isnt such a hinderance anymore.

Ill be sure to keep you all posted on my endevor. Just as soon as i get all the parts together, then the butchery can begin.

BTW, AWD will only be engaged when it is needed.

Back