Problems with my '94 Del Sol S and just some q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Okay, here's the deal, about 2 or 3 weeks ago I acquired a '94 Del Sol S, 5spd. Being the inbolsol that I am, when I took the test drive with the seller, before buying the car, I didn't notice any sort of noises other then a clean sounding engine when it started.

We get about 10 feet down the street, and hear a noise...so alright we take the car home.

My parents (yes, my parents, I'm only 17 and live in NJ...so this is only my second car...first 'real' car) didn't want me to drive the car at first because of the noise, we decided we would take it to a mechanic soon enough. A few days passed and they caved, allowing me to drive the car. I've been driving around with this noise in my car, like a rumble when I rev the engine high.

Took the car to my Uncle, who is somewhat knowledgeable in cars; he tells me that its most likely the throwout bearing and that it shouldn't be too much trouble. My dad took the car to the mechanic the other day and he too said that it was probably the throwout bearing.

Took the car to be actually serviced last night, and I'm greeted this afternoon with the lovely news that my tranny is fucked.

So here's the dilema, I need a new tranny, but I was hoping to switch in an engine over the summer. (I only have the 1.5L SOHC engine, and was hoping to be able to put like a 1.8L DOHC Vteched engine -if i could find one, or something of the like- in my car) Now this whole need for a new transmission screws up my plans, because I dont want to buy a new transmission for a lot of $$$, only to switch it out over the summer.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

Also, the mechanic we took the car to is a friend of my Uncle and told my parents a tranny straight from the junkyard would cost $1200 and one thats rebuilt would cost $2200. Do these prices seem reasonable?? I'll most likely get the tranny straight from the junkyard.

Sorry for the long ass post, just read the end of it if you want to make a long story short.

Suggestions please.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Oct 22 2002, 09:15 PM
you can get a d-series tranny cheap as hell man. prolly like 200-300 dollars if not cheaper

How good is the tranny?...i wonder how much in labor that would be...

I paid 160 for my crx si tranny. I could have yanked one from a junkyard for 150 but I didnt want to do the work. Brian got his tranny for his 94 for under 200.

Originally posted by jeff@Oct 22 2002, 09:33 PM
I paid 160 for my crx si tranny. I could have yanked one from a junkyard for 150 but I didnt want to do the work. Brian got his tranny for his 94 for under 200.

...but how much do you think they would be with labor?

I guess tomorrow I'll try to have my parents find out how much they're charging for the actual transmission.

Originally posted by jeff@Oct 22 2002, 10:00 PM
dunno, i do my own work. Its not that hard to do.

...I'm not familiar with cars...but you say its not that complexed?

What type of tools do you need, and how long would it take me to do on my own?

Wow, thanks for the replies guys...I wasn't expecting this much activity, I really appreciate it.

Here's the story, I just got home from school today and my mom talked to the mechanic (the son of my uncle's friend) and he said that the car has a lot more problems then expected...but the good news is that we might be able to sue the guy who sold us the car.

We did a Carfax report and no accidents were reported, yet the car was in atleast 2 accidents...when we bought the car, the seller told us that he did nothing to the car except for normal maintenance. According to the mechanic, everyone who's looked at the car, and myself the car was in a recent accident, due to the new front end parts.

Which means they had an accident and re-did the whole front end, after they told us they only did normal maintenance.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back