Product Key for Windows Media Center 8 add-on

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
Free to the first requestor. Microsoft is giving away Media Center 8 for free until 1/31/13. The only downside is that you NEED Windows 8 Pro in order to use it.

I initially grabbed my free key to use for my gfs Windows 8 laptop, but she has the Basic version, and its not worth the 70 dollar upgrade to Pro just to have media center.

so whoever wants this, i can forward you the email. this key will expire 1/31/13 if not used before then.

for anyone who misses out on my key, see here to get your own key: Get the Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free - but be prepared to wait | TechRepublic

make sure you give yourself enough time, they tell you on the website that it could take up to 72 hours to email you the key (though I received mine in minutes)

Ironically I just found an online offer to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for 39.99.

Mike, I emailed it to you. Make sure you use it before 1/31/13 or else it will expire

Thanks, totally aware of the limitations... just curious if I actually have to USE it online by then- and if it sticks forever after that. If not, that means I can only install it before 1/31, and never afterwards. That would suck.

What it seems like to me. You have to install before 1/31. And it will continue to work afterwards.

If your asking if you can re-install later as part of a fresh install, I don't know. My advice would be to keep an activated system image to restore to, rather than a fresh install.

True, I've done activation backups before... but I guess 7 has mostly been stable for me anyway without needing to do quarterly reinstalls like XP, so maybe 8 will be the same way. We'll see.

Yeah I've never had to reinstall any of my windows 7 machines due to a software issue, only hard drive replacements/upgrades. And only restoring to a backup image. Never an issue.

Back