project in the works

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRTURBO

first off, im new to the site, so whats up everyone? :spin:
alright, heres the deal. right now i have a built 2.0 liter gsr bottom end (arias piston, eagle rods, benson sleves, ect..), gsr head (ctr intake, itr exhaust cams), gsr tranny, turbonetics t3/t4, intercooler, bov, ect, ect.. it is going to be going into a 94 ex coupe and currently, everything is in pieces. when its all said and done, im looking for ~400 hp on 12-14 lbs of boost on pump gas (93) so keep that in mind.
i need some opinions on a clutch. i get a discount from nopi through work, so thats pretty much where im looking. competition clutch seems to be the best for my application, but i havent heard anything about competition clutches.
i plan on getting a jg edelbrock Victor X Intake Manifold so i dont have to deal with the butterfly system on the gsr intake.
i have a walbro 255 sitting around which i plan on using. as for injectors, all i have is the stock gsr's, so i was thinking about getting some 450s, im not positive what to go with though.
right now the plan is to use a p72 (gsr ecu) with an apexi v-afc and an avc-r.
this is where im sitting right now, just wanted to get some opinions if you guys could help me out. the car still has to get a cage in it, and im still missing alot of little stuff. i dont know, i probably shouldnt be writting this half asleep, but any opinions would be a great help. thanks guys.
josh

Edit: o yeah, this is going to be a 'weekend car' as im calling it. im trying to build it as reliable and streetable as possible, but still able to hit the track 2 or 3 times a month. thanks in advance for any help/opinions.

I would consider alternative engine management, from what it sounds like.

I have used RPS turbo clutchs, and they worked fine for me, but that was from an NA perspective.

ACT seems to be the piece of choice, any other opinions??

everyone seems to get a hard-on for ACT so they are a good choice.....but iv heard good things about clutchmasters aswell....i have heard to stay away from exedy. as for your engine management- you might wanna rethink that. vafc wont support 400 hp niether will 450's....hondata and the compatible injectors with your horsepower....my .02 cents

which ACT would you reccomend for me set up? i guess with an act id be looking at a 4 or 6 puck race disk with an extreme pressure plate? (or would i be better with a street disk?) i was originally going to go the hondata route (or ems, i couldnt decide), but many people have told me i should be fine with the vafc and avcr on 12-14 lbs of boost. hmmm...

sounds like a rad setup, i have a few things im worried about though. i dont know if you are gonna be able to do 400HP out of 450cc injectors and a 255lph fuel pump, you might have to bump those up, and as far as enginemamagement goes, definately Hondata. The Stage1 exedy grips real real hard till it gets hot, then it slips a little but its only supposed to e 30% over stock, ig you are up at the stage 3 or stage 4 Ecedy (the purple ones) then they are disgustingly good. clutchmaters also makes really good stuff, their stage 4 or 5 should be good, but with 400hp you are gonna have rough shifts no matter what. and last but not least, dont forget axels, you are gonna need some nice axels for that much power.

im probably going to be ordering a clutch within a day or so, so any more suggestions on that would be a great help. thanks guys :D

I know lots of people who use the Exedy and love it, but once again thats from a NA stance.

Don't know anyone using Exedy with a FI application.

IMO just get a clutch masters stage 4 and be happy with it..... and a vafc wont support much over 10-11 psi...and im not to sure if your going ot get 400hp out of a t3/t4 on 12psi

I have the Exedy street disc and pressure plate. I grips pretty damn good, but it starts to slip a little after a lot of hard driving.

ok, havent decided on a clutch yet, but i think i am going to go with a hondata. now, the head i have is off a 98 gsr, so i need to get a gsr obd1 ecu (p72), gsr obd1 wiring harness, obd1 distributor, and thats it right? i can use everything else off the obd2 motor?

ummm a 98 is gonna be obd2 so ur gonna want all obd2 corresponding parts and you will def want hondata or some form of stand alone for fuel management. also as far as clutches go act or exedy are very good and also i have heard good things about clutchnet

i know a 98 is obd2. i plan on switching it over to obd1 with an obd1 ecu, harness, distibutor, injectors, etc... since you have to be obd1 to use the hondata. i know you can buy the conversion harness, but since i done have and ecu harness or distributor yet, i was just going to switch the motor over. you get my drift?

ya get where your comin from now but i think youll find it will still be easier to get the conversion harness rahter than try to switch eveything over on the motor

Back