Proper way to remove Power Steering?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MarkJimenez99

I would like to remove my power steering completely. It is currently disconnected from the pulley and it's just hanging there. Is there a proper way to remove it entirely? How do I remove the power steering fluid completely? Do I just pour it out? I don't want to make a huge mess. What about the hoses? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

not to hijack the thread or anything, but does removing the PS really do that much of a difference in freeing up power or mainly just in the stiffness of the steering? I was thinking about removing it since it's not like I parallel park on a daily basis and the long straight roads in Dallas don't require much steering. Now I've driven cars with the power steering broken and it was not fun! keep in mind that it was a 3500+ lbs Mercedes but still...

The links B16 provided are very informative on the process but not on whether or not the whole thing is worth it.

i ripped out my PS
the feel is much better now
the whole assembly was pretty heavy
now there is less drag on the engine too

parking is a little harder now though

over all i love it

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Sep 9 2003, 01:22 PM
i ripped out my PS
the feel is much better now
the whole assembly was pretty heavy
now there is less drag on the engine too

parking is a little harder now though

over all i love it

I wanted my power steering back when it was removed. I got used to it so I didn't care anymore. Since it's disconnected I thought to myself, "Why not just remove the damn thing since I'm not using it?" So here I am. It's actually not that bad unless you're a true pussy. You can feel the turns better. 3 point turns are a bitch though! E_SolSi, you literally just ripped it out?

took the pump out
took the resivoir out
took the lines out

looped the steering box

Back