Putting A H23a1 Into A 96 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys I was thinking about putting an OBD2 H23A1 into my 96 Civic , why you may ask?? well I figured it was a good start since it is already rated at 160hp, and later if I wanted to put a H22A Head I hear that really unleashes the power, sort of like a LS/VTEC conversion,

can anyone give me do and donts of this swap, also since it is OBD2 and right off the bat I will not have the H22a head, will wiring or swapping be difficult since the car is an OBD2 as well??

Thanks for any tips or answers,

it's possible to do. Need to have a mount kit, no big deal. But either do the h22 or h23 don't mix. There is a big increase in headaches rather than power as compared with other franks. Or you can just go ahead and buy the JDM h23vtec that came in the type-r accord.

I don't think the H23 VTEC came in the Type R Accord, I thought it just came in a couple of years of an Accord wagon over in Japan....

yup that can be done. h22 and h23 uses the same mounts. i got an h22 in my 96 civic. problems had to deal with for the swap: engine mounts, shift linkage and shifter assembly, drive shafts. but it will fit and kick everyone's ass!

i suggest you just get the h22a primarily because its already got huge power and especially torque in stock form. if your still not contented.....work the head.... want more???......hi comp pistons

great n.a. reliability!!!

Originally posted by 300hph22civic@Mar 5 2003, 06:12 PM
H23 into a 96 Civic , help please

my borther has a h23a1 in his 93 cx it has a h22 ecu and h22 tran on h23 it runs good it's got vtec at five k rpm, not that hard to get it :roll: :roll: in

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Mar 6 2003, 03:09 PM
I don't think the H23 VTEC came in the Type R Accord, I thought it just came in a couple of years of an Accord wagon over in Japan....

They had F22B's in the wagon, prelude Si vtecs had H22A's, and the Si's also had the F22B, all I can find is the JDM F23A from the 97-01 Accord wagons, and one model that had the H23A in a Accord wagon. Accord Euro R's had the H22A also.

Ok, here it is, 2000 Accord SiR wagon 200PS 2.3L vtec H23A...

honda_accord_wagon_7530.jpg

200PS@6800rpms (197hp
220Nm@5300rpms (162lbs-ft)
10.6:1 compression
87mm bore
95mm stroke

you're looking at big headaches if you think you can just throw on an H22 head...
for the power to weight i would advise for a B series non vtec...

motor will prob run about the same price as an H23, way better weight distribution for the car, and then you can MORE EASILY throw on a vtec head for the extra horses...

someone on here is doing the H23 with H22 vtec head, search the forums and you should find it, he advises that you just start with H22 block cause of the cost involved with the H23 vtec conversion...

and i believe an LS motor will be fairly bolt in to a 96 civic...?
less cost for mounts...

and i have heard of the H23 vtec from japan accords, also head that one of the F22's came turbo'ed in japan... anyone know the truth in this?

EDIT: so H23 vtec has the same figures and stats as the 2.2 counterpart...???
then why????

Originally posted by reckedracing@Feb 2 2004, 06:45 PM

EDIT: so H23 vtec has the same figures and stats as the 2.2 counterpart...???
then why????

Because Honda engineers drink Bud Dry,

Why ask why?

To whom ever bumped this thread, it has been dead for almost a year, start a new thread.

Back