Putting Motor Together

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Viperlocc_B18C1

right now im in the process of throwing the pistons in the block and putting the head back on.
how do you hone? i need to use a hone (new pistons) and im renting one but how do you do it?
and can i use the original head bolts for like 2 weeks..if that cuz im short on money....if i torque them down a little harder i think i can get away with it right?

oh no, this sounds like a high school science project. If you don't know what your doing please give it to someone who does. There is a tq spec for a reason.

Milan

I have been told that honda head studs are for one time use only, is this true? and if so, I would recommend waiting till you got some coin so that you can replace them...

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Jun 13 2003, 11:47 AM
I have been told that honda head studs are for one time use only, is this true? and if so, I would recommend waiting till you got some coin so that you can replace them...

yes, you have seen my broken head bolt from reuse, that was at only 15lbs

Originally posted by B16+Jun 13 2003, 01:11 PM-->
MaaseyRacer
@Jun 13 2003, 11:47 AM

yes, you have seen my broken head bolt from reuse, that was at only 15lbs

that is right you are the one who told me that, and I saw the bolt too... yeah man get new ones...

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jun 13 2003, 02:31 PM
oh no, this sounds like a high school science project. If you don't know what your doing please give it to someone who does. There is a tq spec for a reason.

Milan

for ur info its not a highschool project..ive went from a supra to a honda and yes, the motor is way different as you can use the same headbolts that were taken out. some people on honda-tech say you can re use as one guys has been on his turbo motor...but i prolly wont chance it. and was told by a machine shop its not needed to hone as it can cause more damage...but i have to check for scoring as i didnt see any

honda head bolts are NOT torque-to-yield (one time use) bolts. i personally called honda myself and asked if new bolts were required and they said no. then again heads are not meant to be taken off like every other week so i would only re-use the bolts 2 more times at most. and please do not over torque them.

Viper, I was being sarcastic. I would replace the head bolts and a good starting point would be the old one's site on info regarding "honeing".

Milan

Originally posted by DTEC@Jun 13 2003, 02:37 PM
honda head bolts are NOT torque-to-yield (one time use) bolts. i personally called honda myself and asked if new bolts were required and they said no. then again heads are not meant to be taken off like every other week so i would only re-use the bolts 2 more times at most. and please do not over torque them.

mine broke from just taking the head off once. i'll never reuse again, just from personal experience. i dont like the idea of getting another one stuck in the head.

glad to hear you got new ones, great insurance to have :)

Back