Quick Crower LS Cams Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94CivicSlow

I just ordered these Crower LS Cams... Part # 62403-2. 335$ shipped.
It says that I will also need the 84162 kit (retainers/springs).

Is this true, or can I use my stock retainers and springs...
And does anyone know where I can find the 84162 kit for a good price

Also, if I do need to get that kit, would it be a good idea to take the head to a machine shop to install the cams/retainers/springs

Thanks

Yes, you should probably get the springs/retainers so you don't float a valve and crash it into your pistons. Yes, it's a good idea to take it all to a competent machine shop to install everything if you're not sure about what you're doing.

you probably don't have a valve spring remover anyway. I would take it to a machine shop, but you should trade me for one of my PnPed heads + cash. **hint hint** Its a good investment LS heads flow like shit.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Dec 27 2004, 01:00 PM
you probably don't have a valve spring remover anyway. I would take it to a machine shop, but you should trade me for one of my PnPed heads + cash. **hint hint** Its a good investment LS heads flow like shit.
[post=437768]Quoted post[/post]​

well If its going to the machine shop I am going to have the head ported and polished/gasket matched anyways

alright then.

do you have a valve spring removal tool or some other way of removing them? If you do it isn't too difficult, but i still would suggest bringing it to a machine shop. Theyll probably charge you around 150-300 to remove and install the new valvetrain, and at minimum 250 (if ur real lucky) for the PnP.

Where are you located man... I have a few hookups on the head work.

I have a spare set of B18B crower valve springs and retainers in my garage, they are even still in the box. I was building a second ls engine for the gf's car but now we have gone lsvtec. If you want them i'll do $250 shipped thats just over $100 less than what they cost me. Reciept (or copy of it) is available too if you want.

Edit: Oh yeah, I do suggest porting the head, it made 9hp over the stock head before tuning (dynoed with both on the same day for comparisons) both heads with the 403's at 0deg intake and 0deg exhaust... find a competent head porter and have them do the complete install if you arn't completly comfortable doing the install yourself... I have worked on numerous honda engines and I slipped and messed up a cam journal with the valve spring compressor when I was removing the stock springs on the gf's engine (one of the deciding factors on the lsvtec route)

good luck

I have those same cams and yes you definitely want to go with the dual valve spring and titanium retainer kit. $250 for a brand new set is a good deal I got mine used for $200. Let us know how it goes.

I got my cams and springs/retainers for $400. They were used for 2500 miles.

Originally posted by Sed8ed@Dec 28 2004, 02:15 AM
I have a spare set of B18B crower valve springs and retainers in my garage, they are even still in the box. I was building a second ls engine for the gf's car but now we have gone lsvtec. If you want them i'll do $250 shipped thats just over $100 less than what they cost me. Reciept (or copy of it) is available too if you want.

Edit: Oh yeah, I do suggest porting the head, it made 9hp over the stock head before tuning (dynoed with both on the same day for comparisons) both heads with the 403's at 0deg intake and 0deg exhaust... find a competent head porter and have them do the complete install if you arn't completly comfortable doing the install yourself... I have worked on numerous honda engines and I slipped and messed up a cam journal with the valve spring compressor when I was removing the stock springs on the gf's engine (one of the deciding factors on the lsvtec route)

good luck
[post=438119]Quoted post[/post]​

I am interested in your valve springs and retainers, let me know if they are still for sale, I tried to PM you.

Originally posted by araychel+Dec 29 2004, 10:02 AM-->
@Dec 28 2004, 02:15 AM
I have a spare set of B18B crower valve springs and retainers in my garage, they are even still in the box.  I was building a second ls engine for the gf's car but now we have gone lsvtec.  If you want them i'll do $250 shipped thats just over $100 less than what they cost me.  Reciept (or copy of it) is available too if you want.

good luck
[post=438119]Quoted post[/post]​

I am interested in your valve springs and retainers, let me know if they are still for sale, I tried to PM you.
[post=438589]Quoted post[/post]​

GET IN LINE!!!

$250 is a steal, I bet there are many people in line for that price.

Yes there is a damn line forming, and to think, last month zero interest in the springs. Like I said in the emails, give me a day or so to borrow a digital camera and pics will be sent out... 94civicslow, you have first pick since I posted in your post.

Back