quick EG suspension question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
looking to add a front sway bar to my 92 CX hatch and need new front LCA's to accept the bar. Are a94-01 GSR front LCA's a direct fit? they shouldn't be wider, should they? please LMK found a set for cheap, but not 100% on this.

matt

i cant help...

But I have to ask. Why a front sway bar?

Do you have massive oversteer from a huge Rear bar or something?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Apr 8 2005, 10:06 AM
i cant help...

But I have to ask. Why a front sway bar?

Do you have massive oversteer from a huge Rear bar or something?
[post=484654]Quoted post[/post]​

Huh? Front bars are good.

i had a talk with mark daddio the other week at autox about suspension setups.

if you don't know who he is, he is the dude who won the madzda revitup series two years in a row. Regarded as the best FWD driver in america right now by many...

and i will say this- he doesn't use a single sway or strut tower bar on his cars. he believes in using a proper spring rate and toe setting to get the car to handel how he likes it- loose. very loose.

and loose is fast.

take that as you may.

IMO, if you are having problems with push/understeer, i think you need to learn how to drive the car better. my .02

i have 0 sways or strut bars on my autoX car too...

Maybe I got my facts mixed up...

I thought a Front Sway bar would cause understeer. Maybe I'm just completely out there and have no idea what I'm talking about.

I know I wouldn't want one on my hatch if it does cause understeer, I think I have enough of that the way it is.

I have 0 bars on my car right now. I do have front are rear upper ITR strut bars and a bennen rear lower tie bar, but none of it is installed. I currently am running a complete GSR trailing arm, front spindal setup underneath w/ omni coilover (little stiif might go to tein's), steel braided lines and factory pads/rotors that are brand new. I would like to add the bars, but it is not that big of a deal. The car handles far, but has major understeer. once again, nothing has been setup yet. I got the underneath taken car of, and blew my head gasket before i could even get it aligned. Looking to judt get everything squared away at once now that work has slowed down.

Now would corner weighing the car help at all?

Originally posted by hybrid89@Apr 8 2005, 08:53 AM
Now would corner weighing the car help at all?
[post=484694]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, it would help, but i'm not sure how well though :shrug2:

If you have understeer, a REAR bar will correct it much better.

You can go to whatever the JDM type R bar was and actually get oversteer...from what I've heard.

again, if you're plowing, you're doing something wrong driving it-- not the car.. i get the ass end of my hatch loose at autox all the time. hell, i got a little too loose and drifted the thing through a gate at the last event... lol

if you plow alot, try trail breaking, and throttle lifting. trust me, you'll get it right around.

learn to go in slow and come out fast. if you go in hard, you'll plow. if you go in braking, you'll plow. brake before you turn, steady on the throttle through the corner, full after the apex on exit.

corner weighting will help balance the car, but still, it all comes down to the loose nut behind the wheel :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 8 2005, 01:53 PM
learn to go in slow and come out fast. if you go in hard, you'll plow. if you go in braking, you'll plow. brake before you turn, steady on the throttle through the corner, full after the apex on exit.
[post=484768]Quoted post[/post]​

i play gt4 and do just that. havent done it in real life but thats my tactic.

I have a OEM Delsol rear, and I like the improvment.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 8 2005, 11:56 AM
well, get off your ass and start going to autox.
[post=484803]Quoted post[/post]​

whats required in racing? (i.e. rollcage, five piont harness, that sort of thing)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Apr 8 2005, 10:47 AM-->
and i will say this- he doesn't use a single sway or strut tower bar on his cars. he believes in using a proper spring rate and toe setting to get the car to handel how he likes it- loose. very loose.
[post=484685]Quoted post[/post]​

I can see not wanting to use sway bars on the car and getting all the spring/damper rates just right for perfect handling- but I would always recommend making the car's structure as stiff as possible so that all the movement is controlled by the suspension.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Apr 8 2005, 10:50 AM
I thought a Front Sway bar would cause understeer. Maybe I'm just completely out there and have no idea what I'm talking about.
[post=484689]Quoted post[/post]​

You can see it that way... but a front bar helps increase ultimate grip by keeping the car more level. You just generally don't want to put a huge front bar on without something in the rear to balance it out.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 8 2005, 12:53 PM
learn to go in slow and come out fast.
[post=484768]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 8 2005, 02:22 PM
I have a OEM Delsol rear, and I like the improvment.
[post=484815]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

92dxhatch
@Apr 8 2005, 02:53 PM
whats required in racing? (i.e. rollcage, five piont harness, that sort of thing)
[post=484829]Quoted post[/post]​

For autocross- nothing. All you need to bring is an SA95 or 2000 helmet and a car that's in good repair.

M95's are outdated.

M2000 is now required at most events. thats about it, along with a car that passes tech and a valid license...

Ah, ok- I thought they were good for all of this year. I guess 95 was out at the beginning of this year, right?

M2000 and SA2000 should be all you need, plus your car.

Originally posted by Calesta+Apr 8 2005, 01:00 PM-->
92dxhatch
@Apr 8 2005, 02:53 PM
[post=484829]Quoted post[/post]​

For autocross- nothing. All you need to bring is an SA95 or 2000 helmet and a car that's in good repair.
[post=484832]Quoted post[/post]​

SWEET, i've always wanted to try it out, i play around the twisties all the time, especially on this one road out of town, there are 10, 20, 30mph corners follwed up with some strait aways. and i love commming out of the apex doing 40 plus on the 10mph turn, so much fun, but want to do it on a smoother track. i have a pretty good setup, but wanna learn it the right way, you know. :driver:
thanks

Go for it then- autocross is perfect for teaching you how to drive your car properly. :)

werd. you'll learn more about your car and driving with 5 laps on a course than you ever will on the street--- unless you don't value your lief, and thats just bad.

Back