Quick wheel offset questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If I have a wheel with a 40 mm offset, and I need 42 mm offset can I use a 2mm spacer to make it work? or would this make the offset 38mm instead of 42mm?

Offsets always confuse me :hmm:

Offset is the distance from the center line of the wheel, to the mounting surface. So adding 2mm spacers to a postive 40mm offset is going to make it a 38mm offset, since you are moving the centerline closer to the mounting surface. Adding 2mm spacers to a negative offset is going ot make a -42mm offset. Hondas use postive offsets, so that is just a reference :)

Areas in bold were corrected for information sake.

Awesome thanks guys, so I shoudl be able to run 42mm offest w/no problems if I use a 2 mm spacer w/ the 40mm offset?

Also, is there any disadvantage to using a spacer?

4x114.3 ITR rims have a 50mm offset, and I am going to be running 3mm spacers under them, so no there is no problem. Disadvatage would be if you are trying to tuck 8-15mm spacers under your Civics wells, then you would run into issues.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 25 2004, 11:52 AM
Offset is the distance from the center line of the wheel, to the mounting surface. So adding 2mm spacers to a postive 40mm offset is going to make it a 42mm offset. Adding 2mm spacers to a negative offset is going ot make a -38mm offset. Hondas use postive offsets, so that is just a reference :)

xkwzt21 has it right, if you add a 2mm spacer to a +40 offset wheel, you'll have a +38 offset

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin+Mar 25 2004, 07:52 PM-->
@Mar 25 2004, 11:52 AM
Offset is the distance from the center line of the wheel, to the mounting surface. So adding 2mm spacers to a postive 40mm offset is going to make it a 42mm offset. Adding 2mm spacers to a negative offset is going ot make a -38mm offset. Hondas use postive offsets, so that is just a reference :)

xkwzt21 has it right, if you add a 2mm spacer to a +40 offset wheel, you'll have a +38 offset

Yea, that's right, because you're moving the centerline closer to the mounting surface, duh.

Correct. I'm still rubbing with mine though- it's not the offset that's killing me, it's just how far out my tires are compared to the outer perimeter of the car. I'm running an effective +43mm offset but I still rub- I just need to raise the car a bit and then get new fenders that aren't caked up with Bondo.

:lmao: :bawling:

ok i'm confused. i just had a few people tell me to get wheel spacers to fix my rubbing. my wheels are 38 offset, i want to get that to 42. people told me to get some 5mm h&r spacers to fix that. but now you guys say that's actually gonna change the 38 to 33 right?

i hate people who don't know and tell you wrong stuff :angry:

Originally posted by jwn7@Mar 25 2004, 08:33 PM
ok i'm confused. i just had a few people tell me to get wheel spacers to fix my rubbing. my wheels are 38 offset, i want to get that to 42. people told me to get some 5mm h&r spacers to fix that. but now you guys say that's actually gonna change the 38 to 33 right?

SPacers will help you keep from rubbing on the inside, but the fender will be closer. Most of the shops here offer the service of pulling you fenders, and installing spacers, for that oh so euro look.

Originally posted by jwn7@Mar 25 2004, 02:33 PM

:p :) :)

Your Honda wheels have a positive offset, so that means that your hub surface is outside the center line of your wheel. Adding a spacer moves the center line of the wheel farther out (closer to hub surface), so you decrease your offset- not increase it. The offset is the measurement from the center line of the wheel to the mounting surface of your hub... so putting a 5mm spacer under a +38mm offset wheel will net a +33mm offset, while moving the entire wheel outboard another 5mm. If you're rubbing on the fender, that won't help you at all. If you're rubbing on the suspension, then it will help.

Hope that clears things up for you a bit.

so in essence, dont buy those spacers...they wont help you accomplish what your going for

yes it did, thank you.

god damnit i hate people who tell me wrong stuff. :angry: so is there any way i can get this 38 offset to 42? or should i just break out the hammer and baseball bat and go to town?

If you want to get your +38 offset to +42, you can put the wheels on a lathe and machine 4mm from the mounting surface...

:lmao:

But you might not want to do that! The baseball bat and hammer might be the only easy option. You might try just raising up the car and pulling your camber in a bit- 1 degree makes a bigger difference than you might think, especially once you get to the top of the tire.

remeber, wheel WIDTH is a huge factor in offset.

+42 on a 6.5" wheel is NOT the same distance as +42 on a 7" wheel

oh ok, well the reason I asked is because of the other thread about falken azenis rubbing while turning. I believe you mentioned that 42mm was the right offset so that it won't rub. If its a 7" wide wheel what do you think it should be offset?

Thanks to everyone for your help, I wanna make sure I won't be rubbing with the wheels and tires I get.

btw. this is for a 90-91 CRX if that matters much.

yup. i just read a bunch of stuff on wheels, alignments, and suspension geometry. now i know what's up.

fuckin 14 year old kids on hondatech i tell ya :fr: just get wheel spacers y0 :angry:

Back