Raspberry Pi

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

^^ thanks man.

im on the fence now because of the gooseberry board.
Gooseberry- An alternative to Raspberry Pi

it costs twice the raspi at $63 (if that price is actually the shipping price), BUT it has almost twice the speed @ 1500mhz, better algorithm that could count up twice the processing power (Arm11 vs Cortex-A8), double the RAM, faster GPU (Mali400MP vs VideoCore 4) and built wifi.
***think Iphone 3G upgrade to Iphone 4S is you get the idea of an upgrade.

however, who knows if the gooseberry will materialize. im just hating the fact that raspi wont ship to me until nov. 4 (as quoted by newark) and its laughable 256mb shared RAM. also, xmbc is still very beta.

i think im going to wait this one out. i was initially very excited, but its just too underpowered right now. i shouldve known better as the real conecption behind it was a developer board, nothing more nothing less. i really just wanted xmbc to run smoothly on it.

got mine.
just plugged it in a bit ago.

using an old tv, and i cant get part of my screen to show, not even when editing the overscan.
oh well, i need a new tv anyway.

got mine.
just plugged it in a bit ago.

using an old tv, and i cant get part of my screen to show, not even when editing the overscan.
oh well, i need a new tv anyway.

That's actually pretty common on CRTs. Most TV programs and classic video games are made to take that space that the bezel hides into account. Kinda shitty, but that's the way it is.

yeah, i know. i was hoping i would be able to get the pi to shrink the screen a bit. but didnt accomplish that.

other than that, i did nothing of use with it and wasted my whole evening doing it. lol.

i have been waiting to get a new tv screen, so will probably wait to play with it some more til then. my computer monitors wont be of any use, they are old and dont have an hdmi hookup on them.

Got this in my email this morning:

Dear customer,

Thanks again for your Raspberry Pi order. We are busy working with the suppliers who provide components for your Raspberry Pi to ensure you receive your order as quickly as possible.

Since receiving your order, we have been advised that our next batch of approximately 40,000 Raspberry Pi’s will now be arriving during September, with further deliveries expected in October. This delay is due to the very high level of demand on the core Raspberry Pi processor chip. Unfortunately, this means that your order will be delayed up to the 30th of September, although we are trying to reduce this as much as possible. As soon as we receive confirmation of any improvements from our manufacturers, we will advise you.

Please accept our apologies for this delay and be assured we are doing everything we can to ensure the fastest possible delivery of your Raspberry Pi.

Yours Sincerely

RS Components and Allied Electronics

yeah, i know. i was hoping i would be able to get the pi to shrink the screen a bit. but didnt accomplish that.

other than that, i did nothing of use with it and wasted my whole evening doing it. lol.

i have been waiting to get a new tv screen, so will probably wait to play with it some more til then. my computer monitors wont be of any use, they are old and dont have an hdmi hookup on them.

It doesn't require HCP, so you should be able to use a monitor with a DVI hookup and appropriate adapters.

My company has worked with this platform a bit. There's a little blurb floating around yammer about a demo of some software we built that will replace the need for it's endusers to have Microsoft and office license fees, etc, saving money per work station per year in license fees.

I don't think many people would be able to get away with using one in lieu of a desktop... With the trend towards video-enriched products and even just online training websites becoming flash-heavy, I don't know how long it would last. I tried running a lightweight version of linux on mine so I could do some nominal tasks like web browsing, email, and instant message and it choked if I did all three while editing an open office document. I had it running the OS on a SATA SSD via usb2.0.

I'm going to go with "close but no cigar" for desktop-replacement.

flash is dead!
we actually have a video portal (mycompanyTube) that is running on it too

I picked one up a couple of months ago, but have not had time to play around with it. Has anyone done anything cool with theirs yet? Awptickes have you used it in a security system yet? I was thinking of giving it a try.

Bump :)

My company sent around a memo this morning offering re-reimbursement of the cost of a Raspberry Pi unit, a Sense Hat module, and a course to learn python/javascript/NodeJS as it pertains to this type of dev work through coursera (https://www.coursera.org/learn/developer-iot) so long as we pass with a 70 or better for all 3 modules.

The sylabus says I need this:
The programming assignments require you to have a Raspberry Pi device - any model of Raspberry Pi with a 40 pin header. The course also uses the SenseHAT extension board, whilst it is preferable to have a SenseHat there is a simulator provided if you can't get a SenseHAT.

You will need internet connectivity to download software, connect to the platform, develop and deploy your IoT solution.

Your Rasberry Pi will need the latest Rasbian Jessie OS. This OS will be on a Micro SD Card. The recommended size of the SD card is 8GB but 4GB will do. Note that the learner kit comes with a preconfigured SD card.

In order to setup the Micro SD card, you will need a computer with either a windows, apple or Linux OS. Since most computer do not have a micro SD port, you will need a Micro SD adapter or USB Micro SD card adapter. Your computer will also be used when working on the platform.

To work on your Raspberry Pi, you will need an HDMI monitor or TV to work as the display for the Raspberry Pi (DVI monitor will also work). To connect the monitor to the Raspberry Pi you will need an HDMI cable (or a DVI to HDMI cable).

Your Raspberry Pi needs a way to connect to the internet; either an Ethernet cable for connecting to the Router, or a USB WiFi dongle if you have wireless connectivity. Note that the Raspberry Pi 3 includes built-in WiFi

A USB Keyboard and mouse.

Your Raspberry Pi will also needs a 5V micro USB power supply i(This may be a phone charger for example)

The element14 IoT Learner kit contains the Raspberry Pi, the pre-flashed SD card, a case and power supply : https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-82034/l/element14-iot-learner-kit

Should I just get that last linked kit, or something else instead? Any suggestions on what I should buy? If there's better stuff, I'd rather buy that.

https://www.adafruit.com/

I use this site for my raspberry stuff. They've got starter kits and they've got the SenseHAT boards you are required to have. If you dont need a case or power supply for the raspberry you could save yourself about $30. I've got one of the pitft screens from them which is cool because it gives you a small touch screen that plugs into the 40pin header.

Back