Rear drum brake lockin up on 95 civic coupe ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95EGCoupeVtec

SOHC VTEC at its best
so i just noticed my rear left drum brake was hot. i get back in m my car and go to back up and the tire is LOCKED up. wtf? so i jack it up and take the drum apart and see that the brake shoes is stickin for some reason. so i just unhook the brake cable from the drum till i can get time to change the shoes out. now, on occasion, it feels like the shoe's are still catching while i drive, i.e hard to take off sometimes and when i stop slowly i can feel that corner stop b4 all the others. do u think the drum shoe is just really worn and needs replacement? besides that the car stops pretty good. no other problems besides that.

"wheel cylinder"? i'm pretty car intuit but i'm not sure what that is... anyone else have any suggestions?

EDIT: nvm about what a wheel cylinder is. its the actual cylinder that presses the drum shoes against the drum. BUT anyone got anymore suggestions just incase? i'm gonna replace that wheel cylinder to see if that's it. once i replace it i should get some brake fluid and bleed them?

Last edited:
get the cylinder and a spring/hardware kit and that should do it

done! ordered it right after that post! it was $14.95 shipped! now all i have to do is get a clutch, new axle, and exhaust and have some fun till i get enough money for the rest of the stuff for the turbo kit! the car should pull harder with that sticking brake issue fixed lol. that is, pull hard for a honda... i will need to bleed that cylinder afterwards correct? should i get a thing of brake fluid while i'm at it?

yep. If after replacing the cylinder does not fix the issue (which it should). It dependes on how long the brakes have been dragging. You might have to get that drum turned. That heat causes drum to get hot and warp.

yeah you need to bleed the brakes out after any time you open the system

and its a good idea to flush the old fluid out at least every 2 years any way

ok guys thanks. hopefully this will all fix it. i need good brakes before i get that turbonetics kit on there!

Back