Red light/speed cameras

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
I seriously do not understand how these are legal and functioning here in this country. It completely goes against the due process, innocent until proven guilty, and the right to face your accuser.
Sold my forester about a month ago and the kid that bought it drove from chattanooga to columbia to get the car. It was after hours and since he couldnt get a transport tag from the county clerk to drive it all the way home I let him keep my tag on it so he wouldnt get pulled over. that was a mistake because it took him a month to send it back (finally told him that I was going to report it stolen if he didnt send me a tracking number). well, I get a notice in the mail about speeding and it was from chattanooga and obviously him. So, i told him i needed him to sign a bill of sale because my insurance was billing me since the title hadnt changed to his name yet (that was a lie). I've never done a bill of sale here because they arent used for anything, the state doesnt require them and Ive never needed one before. But, obviously I needed one now so I made some shit up to get it. so luckily I dont really have to deal with this particular ticket.

But, it does show me just how much of a complete scam this shit is. On the ticket it states in bold lettering that "Non-payment of this citation cannot adversely affect your credit score or report, driver's license, and/or automobile insurance rates." but if you dont pay it says on their website "FAILURE TO PAY THE PENALTY SHOWN, OR TO CONTEST LIABILITY MAY RESULT IN THE IMPOSITION OF LATE FEES AND COURT COSTS." Or you can contest it in court and have to pay the court fees which are probably more than the $50 fine they are charging on the ticket.

Even one of our state reps made a video and a post about what he has done to get rid of the cameras and what people should do if they get a ticket: http://www.andyholt4tn.com/holt-the-truth-about-tn-traffic-camera-tickets-what-to-do-if-you-get-one/

I know that by sending in the affidavit and bill of sale im giving in to the pressure but this ones not my problem to stand up to and I just dont care to. If it were actually a ticket that I was incurred I would just do as the link above says and throw the damn thing away, or show up in court and just keep repeating to the judge and whoever else "prove it was me, burden of proof is on you, not me." the camera's only capture rear photographs, no front images so they have no way of proving who was in the driver seat.

/rant.

Sounds like the country needs more politicians like this guy. Unfortunately the legal system was designed to work against poor people, and without good people in government, this kind of crap will continue.

This is what happens when you let government brain wash everyone into believing that driving is a privilege, not a right.

It is a privilege. I'm glad there's laws. red light running being one of them. I think speed limits are rediculously low, but then you drive a shit box and realize why. going 70- in a focus feels like 140 in my car. lol

ban shitty cars, make roads faster/better/safer?

I feel like the cameras themselves are a decent way to keep people in check but there needs to be some sort of review system because of situations like yours. Appealing shouldn't cost anything or be too much of a hastle and yet it is and thats where I think it falls short. When you automate any process you still have to have human quality control

in MA any appeal regardless if you are at fault, or just unlucky, costs money. its rediculous. and now you have to pay to park at most hospitals in the state, and even moreso recently, courthouses.

yep, keep voting for state budget cuts, and you still pay for it anyway....

they do have a review system, but like the rep in the link says its reviewed by too many of the wrong people. it would be a bit different if these were city/state owned systems that only real officers were allowed to monitor and cite. But they arent. theyre company owned and are reviewed by employees before the police are notified and the company that runs them takes a large chunk of the "fines." if the city wants cameras then the city should have to fork out the investment to create the infrastructure and man the screens and then keep all of the fines collected. add in a corporate company and all this is is profiteering by the companies and the cities that do it.

also, if they are going to make it this easy to cite people then the system to appeal should start online as well and be free to challenge.

So you hate speed cameras because of the sales process or was it just the foundation for your rant?

In Washington we sign over the title, tear off the bottom half that has the buyers info on it. You both sign. They get a title, you get the signed doc saying you sold it. You drop that off with a bill of sale at the title office and you're free and clear from anything negative happening.

guess it was the foundation of the rant. i dont know. just hate the whole system of it.

Tn doesn't have anything like that for their titles. I have asked the county clerks and they told me that TN doesnt require them, they don't use them and are meaningless to them. My mistake was allowing him to keep the plate on there, should have just told him it's his problem and let him risk getting pulled over.

guess it was the foundation of the rant. i dont know. just hate the whole system of it.

Tn doesn't have anything like that for their titles. I have asked the county clerks and they told me that TN doesnt require them, they don't use them and are meaningless to them. My mistake was allowing him to keep the plate on there, should have just told him it's his problem and let him risk getting pulled over.

That's how it was when i lived in utah, 15 years ago. You pulled the plates when you sold the car.

Still though, a simple bill of sale gets you out of any tickets. or like you said, file it stolen.

yep, lesson learned. oh well, it got taken care of. wont happen again though.

Back