Red Line Removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sk8er602

I was wondering what options i have when wanting to remove the red line in this ECU. I was thinking of something cheap b/c i will tune it with an AFC and cam gears.

Thanks for you help

My bad its an obd0 b16a ECU, so i guess thats PR3 noit PR30

B/c i am planing to build the head and maybe if i cuold just raise it a bit i would like to do that. I wa thinking Crower stage 2 cams or Maybe stage 3

Your redline is there for a reason. It keeps you from going past the fuel cutoff, and detonating your engine. If you didn't have a rev limiter, your car would go lean at worst possible time. Rev limiters are a good thing, and if you want do anything, just raise it a little. I think the pr3 ecu's rev to 8200, which is more than enough for most people's taste, especially if they are going "cheap" and only using a VAFC and cam gears. If you were spending money on a complete engine build, only then would I worry about raising it. Running that high of rpm on a stock block at stock compression is not going to give you much. Get some high cr pistons and some WELL DESIGNED cams and then think about raising it. It has to be a complete package.

And to answer your question, you have to chip it to remove the limiter, and then you might as well get hondata, since you are chipping the ecu anyway. Or uberdata or whatever. Just get some real tuning capabilities, before revving that high.

The Bottom is already built and i just want to do something besides hondata, uberdata is one thought i had but was looking if there where more.

What do you mean by built? List your mods if you want so accurate advice. By saying you wanted to basicaly skimp out on tuning, I can't just assume you just built your bottom end to rev to 9500 rpm, with a VAFC nonetheless. You NEED good tuning to reliably rev that high.

Well since everyone feels like lecturing on built motors, and can't seem to answer a simple goddamn question, here ya go:

Chip the ECU and you can have whatever redline you want, along with VTEC point and fuel/spark maps. You can go with either Uberdata orCROME (i like CROME better, idles a lot better IMO) to edit your maps.

I had crower rods and Pr3 pistons put in a b18a, Had it balanced, My goal is to have about 200 hp. Tanks for your help nfn15037.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Jul 11 2004, 12:06 PM
Well since everyone feels like lecturing on built motors, and can't seem to answer a simple goddamn question, here ya go:

Chip the ECU and you can have whatever redline you want, along with VTEC point and fuel/spark maps. You can go with either Uberdata orCROME (i like CROME better, idles a lot better IMO) to edit your maps.

As mike said, if he wants accurate advice he needs to tell us what the hell he's already done. Most of the people on here that ask a question like that without giving any background are just some new kid to Honda that thinks revving the motor to 8930983983 rpm will make him 298823983 hp on stock everythings.

Ok, To start off your right i should have given you all more info on my setup, seconend i am far from new to hondas and was looking for some other ideas than what i had.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jul 11 2004, 02:00 PM
As mike said, if he wants accurate advice he needs to tell us what the hell he's already done. Most of the people on here that ask a question like that without giving any background are just some new kid to Honda that thinks revving the motor to 8930983983 rpm will make him 298823983 hp on stock everythings.

:lol:

Originally posted by revolution8k+Jul 11 2004, 02:00 PM-->
@Jul 11 2004, 12:06 PM

Well he asked how he could remove a revlimiter from a PR3 ECU. Seems pretty straightforward to me. But I suppose everyone loves showing off their mad knowledge......

Originally posted by nfn15037+Jul 11 2004, 09:59 PM-->
Originally posted by revolution8k@Jul 11 2004, 02:00 PM
nfn15037
@Jul 11 2004, 12:06 PM

Chip the ECU and you can have whatever redline you want, along with VTEC point and fuel/spark maps.  You can go with either Uberdata orCROME (i like CROME better, idles a lot better IMO) to edit your maps.

Well he asked how he could remove a revlimiter from a PR3 ECU. Seems pretty straightforward to me. But I suppose everyone loves showing off their mad knowledge......

Maybe so but I don't want to see a thread 2 days later saying "look at the big hole in the side of my block!" accompanied by the possible explanation/question... "so how do you guys think this happened? I was running the car at about 15 THOUSAND rpm and it just exploded!! no idea why!!!"

I don't have mad knowledge, i'm a n00b. but those who do know don't need to just go spouting out how to do it without being given the proper information to KEEP that motor running for a long time.

I actually answered his question in my seconp reply. If you guys read the entire thread up to that point, you would see that I wasn't being overly critical, just curious to see what he had done so far to build the bottom end to handle the rpms. I am also guessing that you are doing the ls vtec? You will need a vtec oil pump; I hope you already have one, or say goodbye to your motor due to low oil pressure with the vtec head. Also, yes go with uberdata or crome. I am not too familiar with chipping, only that it need to be done in order to reset your revlimits and fuel maps and such. There are many helpful people on here as well as honda-tech and pgmfi.org, that will be of much more help than I am. As for the physical stresses on your motor, high rpms will kill an LS block, and you will most likely spin a bottom end bearing, be it a rod or main bearing, before anything else goes. It sounds like you used good components, I'm assuming you used econobillets or better, because anything less is not going to hold up to the loads you want to push. I'd say just stay with the rev range the ecu was designed for, and tune your powerband to max before that point. Either that or go with a chipped ecu, and tune away with the above mentioned stuff. Hondata is also a good route to go if you have a few hundred to spend on tuning, which I recommend if you want to operate at the engine's mechanical threshold. The ls block was not originally intended to rev that well, so just be careful, and overbuild it to be on the safe side. And get the vtec oil pump (94+gsr or type r's are the best choices). Lubrication is your friend at high rpms.

Back