Reliability Rally - $1000 bikes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
Seeing that there are several OG members here that like dirt cheap motorcycles, I thought I would make this post.

For the past few years I have been running an annual rally for dirt cheap bikes. We had 27 people sign up this year and 20 actually show up despite COVID. We expect 40+ for 2021. We ride around 400 miles over a weekend and throw in a few contests.

For next year I rented out the motel that also acts as the motorcycle/sports car hangout at the Tail of the Dragon.

Hope you guys consider joining!

20200711_114939.jpg
Screenshot_20201015-212452_Chrome.jpg

That's awesome. I wonder if I could make 2021. I just don't know which bike to take, lol.

Dooo it! Bring... both?

The enduro would be a blast. What is your other bikes?

I got this 91 Bandit 400 for $850
1998 KLR250
1991 DR650s
1969 TC120
1969 Trail 90

I'd probably do the KLR, because the Trail 90 is sloooooooooooooooooooooow, the TC120 may never be street legal, and the DR650s is a long way from being road-ready.

1998 KLR250
1991 DR650s
1969 TC120
1969 Trail 90

I'd probably do the KLR, because the Trail 90 is sloooooooooooooooooooooow, the TC120 may never be street legal, and the DR650s is a long way from being road-ready.
KLR would be great. We will avoid highways for the vast majority of the rode. Two years ago a guy won on a KE100. That thing maxed at 52...

KLR would be great. We will avoid highways for the vast majority of the rode. Two years ago a guy won on a KE100. That thing maxed at 52...
My trail90 has never been faster than 58, that was a full tuck, down a literal mountain, lol.

Honestly, I have more faith in the trail 90 to go-the-distance, the KLR250 is more complex and keeps cropping up with more odd issues every time I ride it. It's certainly more comfortable though.

Awe man, looking at the fb group, I think I might do this thing...

Anyone in the northeast, you can come down to my place a few days early and we can do "preventative" maintenance before heading out.

Awe man, looking at the fb group, I think I might do this thing...

Anyone in the northeast, you can come down to my place a few days early and we can do "preventative" maintenance before heading out.
Hope you can make it! It should be an awesome time. Where are you located? East Coast IIRC. Gonna be a haul!

Yeah so to go cross country on the tiny buell would have been hell lol I would need a bigger bike for sure.

Back