Removing Hub Spacer In Axle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dkasakitis

Folks, I've swapped out my old ZC and stuff my B motor in place in my 89 CRX. I'm running an S1 tranny. HASport web site indicates that I need to remove the dust seal and the spacer in the hub. OK, I've found the dust seal sticking on the old axle, but I can't see anything that looks like a spacer. Are they talking about that piece of sheet metal that's dished or something inside the hub. All I see is what looks like the edge of the bearing.

Thanks, Dave K.

the site shows a good digram on how to pop the spacer out its more of like a like a little metal sheet that protects the knuckle..once u find it u can easily pry it out with a flathead

*big ass worthless pic removed*

Originally posted by Nerologic@Feb 3 2003, 08:52 PM
the site shows a good digram on how to pop the spacer out its more of like a like a little metal sheet that protects the knuckle..once u find it u can easily pry it out with a flathead
civeng.gif

What does this have to do with popping out a hub seal???Dkasakitis call HAsport and ask they will answer any questions related to swaps involing their products.

Although I have HASport mounts, the axles were from another vendor. Apparently what some folks are referring to as spacers are in fact not spacers, they are known as "Knuckle Ring". I spoke with my axle vendor and he did not enlighten me. I he would have said there's a large curved piece of metal the axle mates to, just remove it, I wouldn't be "here'. So here's the problem and man does it bite.

I installed the axles, tightened the hub up, etc. and was calling it quits for the day (still have a tad more wiring to do). Anyway, the car wouldn't roll, even with the tranny in neutral or clutch in. I couldn't believe it. So I went to pull the axles and see what the heck was up. I pulled the driver's side with some difficulty and sure enough there was the darn knuckle ring stuck on the outboard portion of the alxe. That was probably why it was binding, so yes I removed it. (the tranny was fine otherwise and the axle could spin it.

Here's the problem, I can't remove the passenger side axle. I wedged a large screwdriver, no go. I used a chisel as a wedge like I did on the driver's side. I tapped it to wedge the axle from the tranny case. It's out about 1/4" by that is absolutely as far as it will go. Now I can't get the passenger side axle either back into the tranny or out. Any ideas what's holding the axle up?

Thanks again.

Back