Ringing noise with throttle position

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slow&Delirious

isn't fast or furious
yes, as weird as it sounds there is a high pitched ring/squill noise that comes from the dash aera when the throttle is 1/4 of the way in at a certin point. its not a specific RPM or speed its throttle position, but just reving the car wont duplicate the problem and it didnt do this untill it was put under a foot of snow last week. Its most audiable at crising speeds and throttle is 1/4 of the way in at the special point.

i have looked and thought all week long, and its driving me CRAZY.
any thoughts are appreicated.

Maybe your throttle cable is hitting something, get someone to watch the cable whilt you pump it, once with the engine off and once with it running. Thats all i can think of.

i tried it but saw nothing, im thinking it vacuum related???
i sounds like its right on the passenger side firewall but there is no visiable problem!

i tested the TPS no flat spot, i couldnt find any vacuum related issues, and its about 80 outside today and no change so its not temp related,

<bump>

maybe be your speedo cable? i had one make noise only at certain rpms before... greased it up and it was better

what aera of the dash did this noise come from when you had the noise?

im almost to the point of taking the dash apart to find something loose or broken

Last edited:
i did some riding with the top down this weekend, and since the noise is louder im assuming its under the hood, i did find a rotted vac line on the evap can and replaced it, but didnt fix it the sound, i messed with the motor mounts and checked the heat shield and exhaust, nothing loose or too tight or broke

im still frickin scratching my head....

i have a friend with a smoke machine that i am going to use next week, maybe it is an intake leak or something of that nature.
Also the SRS light came on again the same day the ringing started, i had just reset it like 6000 miles ago, i dont know if its related but i reset it again

ok, the smoke machine showed leaks on the throttle valve stop screw and the electrical connection on the IAC valve, so i bought a new IAC and it fixed most of my poor idle condition, and the ringing noise was reduced somewhat, so i mixed up some apoxy and smeared over the throttle where it was leaking, so now i have no leaks and the noise is still there.

back to square one................

I also call it a chirp.

Ive had this happen and its caused by a few things:

1. Bad iacv(iac). Buy a new one with a new gasket, dont go used.. #1 problem
2. Idle set incorrectly, Iacv and ecu routine out of sync
3. Automatic throttle body on a 5 spd manifold
4. damaged throttle plate
5. Clogged holes in throttle body above throttle plate
6. idle adjustment screw screwed in too far

Take off you intake tube, start car, rev throttle to problem rpm wher sound is heard and put your finger in the throttle body opening. Try covering holes or disrupting the air flow. If the noise stops you found the cause.

yeah it's the iacv doing it. mine's doing it too. my idle isn't set right yet. my chip is set to idle at 1300rpm (dont ask....experiment) and the idle screw is low. with the key to the on position, mine will make the hum whine noise. disconnect the electrical connector to the iacv and listen to it stop. confirm yours is doing the same as mine.

g'luck

yeah it's the iacv doing it. mine's doing it too. my idle isn't set right yet. my chip is set to idle at 1300rpm (dont ask....experiment) and the idle screw is low. with the key to the on position, mine will make the hum whine noise. disconnect the electrical connector to the iacv and listen to it stop. confirm yours is doing the same as mine.

g'luck

My example is with the engine runnng. If you get a hum sound with KOEF, you may have a problem with your bin file, a bad iacv, or a faulty ecu. Check the resistance on the iacv and make sure its within spec.

I adjusted the screw like 2 weeks before the noise started, then the noise started so I replaced the IAC (new) and re-adjusted the screw so it idles around 700, i also thought the screw could be the problem so i turned it all the way out so it idles at 1700 and the noise didnt stop. Replacing the IAC did make it less noticable, with the radio on even low you cant hear it

I would like to get another throttle body, but for now its good

and just reving the engine wont duplicate the noise, the engine has to be under a load

Back