S2000 VS CARRERA GT EFFICIENCY

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kungpowchicken7

Ok guys, on the Porsche site, it says the Carrerra GT's V10 makes 605hp w/ 5.7 litres. They also state that the engine makes 105.5hp/litre. [Obviously, they estimated some numbers- 605/5.7 does not exactly equal 105.5].

Anyways, the S2000 makes 240hp w/ a little less than 2 litres. Estimating, the S2000 makes 120hp/litre [240/2].

Is this hp/litre comparison an accurate way to determine engine efficiency? Is it safe to say that the f20c is more efficient than that.....that beast?

no it has more to do with compression then anything else. all things the same a 2liter engine with 13.5:1 CR will make more hp then a 2liter engine with a 9:1 CR. Welcome to hondaswap

its harder and harder to get a normally asperated V6 or larger to make that much power. the only reason honda is able to do that is because of the miricle called Vtec. also, the newer ivtec system is very crappy ( IMO) compared to the old system, the cams move as RPM's go up, instead of switching to a different cam lobe, so u get no Vtec Kick. my friend is turning his street legal 11 second Civic into a full race car, and just bought a brand new SiR for his daily, the Vtec is not noticable at all, and there is quite a lack of power. holy shit did i go off topic. anyway, as i was saying, it takes alot more tuning and tweaking to get a V6 or larger engine to make 100hp/L than a 4 cylinder.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Sep 7 2003, 03:11 AM
ivtec system is very crappy ( IMO) compared to the old system, the cams move as RPM's go up, instead of switching to a different cam lobe, so u get no Vtec Kick.

rather than "vtec kick," you get an optimized valve lift at any rpm

vtec=2 lobes

ivtec=much more :)

why exactly do you think it is very crappy? it takes the advantages of vtec, and improves it

Originally posted by SolReaver+Sep 7 2003, 01:54 AM-->
SleEPeR_CRX
@Sep 7 2003, 03:11 AM
ivtec system is very crappy ( IMO) compared to the old system, the cams move as RPM's go up, instead of switching to a different cam lobe, so u get no Vtec Kick.

rather than "vtec kick," you get an optimized valve lift at any rpm

vtec=2 lobes

ivtec=much more :)

why exactly do you think it is very crappy? it takes the advantages of vtec, and improves it

:werd:
EDIT:
and to elaborate, i dont think you really understand how i-vtec works. you still have 3 cam lobes per cylinder per cam. think of it this way, its just like "old" vtec, but can also adjust the timing of the intake cam up to 50 deg. adv. and ret. on the fly. also, the blocks have a better design, the whole lower half of the block acts as a huge girdle, in the head, the rockers are roller rockers instad of sliders.

B16 Posted on Sep 7 2003, 11:02 AM
  EDIT:
and to elaborate, i dont think you really understand how i-vtec works. you still have 3 cam lobes per cylinder per cam. think of it this way, its just like "old" vtec, but can also adjust the timing of the intake cam up to 50 deg. adv. and ret. on the fly. also, the blocks have a better design, the whole lower half of the block acts as a huge girdle, in the head, the rockers are roller rockers instad of sliders. 

not on the new si's. they only have the regular cam lobes, no vtec cam lobes, but they do have the opitimized lift, just no large lobes. thats why the type-s motor makes 200hp vs the si's 160.

b-series>>>>the si's k20.

Sleeper_CRX- Vtec isn't really a miracle thing, its been around almost as long as the inline 4(approximately 60 years). it isn't hard to make a 3.0 liter v6 or a larger 6.0 liter v12 make 100hp per liter you just do it with lots of compression(or lots of boost) and huge valves with lots of lift.

I do like how the motors are mounted with the new K series, with the intake manny in the front..

i cant wait till someone comes out with itbs for the new motor they could have them practically sticking out the grill that would be tight

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Sep 7 2003, 12:09 AM
no it has more to do with compression then anything else. all things the same a 2liter engine with 13.5:1 CR will make more hp then a 2liter engine with a 9:1 CR. Welcome to hondaswap

I agree that a 13.5:1 CR will make more power than a 9.5:1 CR
but not as much as you'd expect. Compression increases provide very little
increase in hp gains.

also Keep in mind the Porsche is using a turbo motor vs. the S2000 is not.

the Carrera GT is naturally aspirated

No. of cylinders --- 10

Displacement --- 5.7 liters

Maximum power (SAE) --- 605 hp @ 8,000 rpm

Maximum torque --- 435 lb-ft @ 5,750 rpm

Maximum engine speed --- (revs) 8,400 rpm

Compression ratio --- 12.0 : 1

(Specific output: --- 105.5 hp (SAE) per liter)

thats the information from porsche

technical specifications

ah I was assuming it was a turbo model. my bad.

but still it's a german engineered Prosche Vs. Honda

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Sep 8 2003, 08:15 AM
B16 Posted on Sep 7 2003, 11:02 AM
  EDIT:

not on the new si's. they only have the regular cam lobes, no vtec cam lobes, but they do have the opitimized lift, just no large lobes. thats why the type-s motor makes 200hp vs the si's 160.

b-series>>>>the si's k20.

Sleeper_CRX- Vtec isn't really a miracle thing, its been around almost as long as the inline 4(approximately 60 years). it isn't hard to make a 3.0 liter v6 or a larger 6.0 liter v12 make 100hp per liter you just do it with lots of compression(or lots of boost) and huge valves with lots of lift.

i should have been more clear, when i speak of the K motor i mean the K20, not the shitty si one, the type s one.

Porsche vs. Honda....you honestly can't compare them

if anyone took a honda over a porsche maybe god rest their soul....

horsepower is an equation of Torque. Torque is what matters. When most people speak of torque, they tend to mean bottom end power. The equation is :
HP=TORQUE * RPM / 5252
So to spell it out, Horsepower is equal to torque times by RPM divided by 5252.
If you raise the RPM at which you are recieving that Torque, you will get a higher horsepower number.
Knowing that, the horsepower number may misrepresent power output, unless you do the math.
For all interested, read this:
Torque and Horsepower - A Primer From Bruce Augenstein
This is one of the best articles I have read on the subject. Read it all the way through.

Hey why don't we talk about financial efficiency. On a modest budget I can afford to commute 120 miles a day in my honda, and with inexpensive mods it can perform almost as well if not better than most of the sports cars I have owned. With that in mind I would say that honda beats porsche any day.

I paid around $13500 for my car new and have driven it 148000 miles thats less than 10 cents a mile. Do the same math on the porsche and see how far it would have to go.

I have owned some fun cars, but some of them honestly worried me every time I drove them for fear of something breaking and costing me money.

I can go out and beat the fuck out of my honda and not give a shit because I can fix it for chump change.

its a freaken porche!!!! what more can u ask???? shit reguardless, if u were given the keys to one of these cars, would u complain about the hp per lit???? i dont think so!!!!!!

I own a 02 SI, the new motor, I like the new i-VTEC, but like the TYPE-S engine more. That is why I am going to swap one in. Anyway, what I am getting at, is I got the 2.0 because it equal's about 20 more lbs. of torque. The main reason I got it.

Back