serious loss of power PLEASE HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fatsoteg

I have been to countless forums and this is easily the best so far. I am new in here but i need some serious help.

For the last several months my poor car is lacking power in the low end. When taking off it sounds like a lawn mower like its missing or something. I thought it was a fuel delivery issue and i replaced the fuel filter and then the fuel pump. No change. i then did the plugs and wires cap and rotor, when pulling the wires i noticed oil on top of the second plug from the distributer. I then did the valve cover gasket with the plug rings. No change. Some times like fist drive of the day when not up to temp it seems to run fine for ten minutes or so. I have done all the work on this car for the last five years and im tryin to avoid takin her in for a diagnostic. The car is as follows:95 Ls ;hot cams and gears;intake. Basically a regular car bar the few mods. Any 'Teg heads in phoenix, a look would be much appreciated. Any ideas?? Thanks
Big One

Originally posted by fatsoteg@Jun 13 2005, 04:09 PM
I have been to countless forums and this is easily the best so far. I am new in here but i need some serious help.

For the last several months my poor car is lacking power in the low end. When taking off it sounds like a lawn mower like its missing or something. I thought it was a fuel delivery issue and i replaced the fuel filter and then the fuel pump. No change. i then did the plugs and wires cap and rotor, when pulling the wires i noticed oil on top of the second plug from the distributer. I then did the valve cover gasket with the plug rings. No change. Some times like fist drive of the day when not up to temp it seems to run fine for ten minutes or so. I have done all the work on this car for the last five years and im tryin to avoid takin her in for a diagnostic. The car is as follows:95 Ls ;hot cams and gears;intake. Basically a regular car bar the few mods. Any 'Teg heads in phoenix, a look would be much appreciated. Any ideas?? Thanks
Big One
[post=511751]Quoted post[/post]​

no CEL?

youve got cams and gear, maybe a gear slipped a bit have you checked that?

I have been to countless forums and this is easily the best so far.  I am new in here but i need some serious help.

For the last several months my poor car is lacking power in the low end. When taking off it sounds like a lawn mower like its missing or something.  I thought it was a fuel delivery issue and i replaced the fuel filter and then the fuel pump. No change.  i then did the plugs and wires cap and rotor, when pulling the wires i noticed oil on top of the second plug from the distributer.  I then did the valve cover gasket with the plug rings.  No change. Some times like fist drive of the day when not up to temp it seems to run fine for ten minutes or so. I have done all the work on this car for the last five years and im tryin to avoid takin her in for a diagnostic.  The car is as follows:95 Ls ;hot cams and gears;intake. Basically a regular car bar the few mods.  Any 'Teg heads in phoenix, a look would be much appreciated.  Any ideas??  Thanks
Big One
[post=511751]Quoted post[/post]​

no CEL?
nope no CEL
How do you check for a slipped gear

also my gas mileg has shot thru the floor bout 217 miles in a 12 gallon tank

You could always try a different ecu, if one of your freinds has one or whatever. My last ecu took a dump and my car would run like that. Just a thought too, you could hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see where your pressure is at, that could be another reason for bad gas milage and loss of power.

You could try pulling the plugs one by one while the engine is running if the engine stumbles and hesitates then you are good, no stumble and you may have a dead cylinder. I would also do a leak down test since you have oil on the plug. My car was acting the same way turned out to be bad rings on one of the cylinders.

i replaced the fuel pres reg and then i retarded the dist. shazaam my babys back. thanks every one for every thing

Back